200,000 Evacuated Near Failing California Dam

Discussion in 'The Homeland' started by Falcon, Feb 13, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

Thousands Evacuated as Spillway at California’s Oroville Dam Threatens to Fail

Authorities issued emergency evacuation orders for nearly 200,000 people living downstream from Northern California’s Lake Oroville late Sunday amid fears of severe flooding.

The order was given after an emergency spillway at the lake, which was put into service over the weekend, was found to be in danger of failing because of erosion.

State and local officials said they were racing to plug a hole that opened up in the backup spillway Sunday, while at the same time increasing the amount of water being released from California’s second-largest reservoir after it was filled by rains and snow that have hit the state with a vengeance this winter after a six-year drought.

“I am hopeful that the lake level will drop significantly in a very timely fashion to relieve pressure on the spillway,” Sheriff Kory Honea of the local Butte County said during a press conference Sunday night.

Sheriff Honea said he ordered evacuations of parts of Oroville (population 16,000) and other communities along the Feather River downstream of the big lake, which is held back by a 770-foot dam—the tallest in the U.S. The sheriff said he acted after receiving information from a state engineer that the hole might imminently cause the spillway to fail. The area is about 70 miles north of Sacramento.

The Associated Press said about 188,000 were subject to the evacuation order.

Continue Reading:
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/evacua...pillway-predicted-to-fail-1486960905?mod=e2tw

Pathfinder, Ajax and YarS like this.
  2. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    Led Zeppelin "When the Levee Breaks" by Zepparella.

3. Ajax

Ajax 2nd Lieutenant

This is my hometown i was born in, tbh im kind of sad this happening i use to live a mile or 2 away from the dam. it was beautiful during the summertime.

YarS and Pathfinder like this.
  4. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Sorry for the loss bro, hopefully everything turns out to be ok. I heard that only part of the damn will break but it still might not completely overflow.