21st Century Land Warfare, A Discussion on the Doctrine and Weapons of our Century

Discussion in 'Land' started by Pathfinder, May 20, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

As many of you may have noticed land warfare in the 21st century has changed significantly, we have seen a major shift from investment in conventional land warfare systems and doctrines into systems and doctrines geared towards asymmetric warfare systems and doctrines. This shift was a reaction to the experiences gained by various countries during their military campaigns in poor third world countries where the adversaries had to rely on asymmetric tactics to counter the economically, politically, and militarily superior invaders. The United States failed to apply the lessons it learned in Vietnam to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Russians failed to apply the lessons they learned in Afghanistan to their wars in Chechnya. The United States and Russia have however turned things around and are now leading the world in the development of the doctrines and weapons to be used in 21st century land warfare.

What are the trends of 21st century land warfare?
    • Smaller armies
    • Better trained and equipped infantry
    • Smaller and more effective weapons systems
    • Unmanned remote control weapons systems
    • Autonomous systems
    • More special forces (increased use of local forces)
    • Advanced protection systems

Falcon and Technofox like this.
  2. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Electronic warfare as an antidote to autonomous and unmanned systems. The Americans aren't as far behind as are often made out to be, but Europe lags behind in deployable battlefield electronic warfare systems in a bad way compared to Russia, which is well known for its electronic capabilities.

[​IMG]

Rocket/missile artillery seems to be en vogue right now too. Counter-artillery systems like Arthur have proliferated enough as have CRAM systems that can down artillery shells, rockets and mortar bombs so the survivibility of the artillery gun is diminishing when accurate counter-battery fire can be directed against them. Theater level missiles like the Iskander system, ballistic and cruise, provide a counter for artillery locating radars and CRAM. Missile defences haven't yet reached the critical saturation point that would limit the effectiveness of battlefield cruise and ballistic missiles.

[​IMG]

People often forget non-traditional warfare options. During campaigns in Iraq and Syria the US engaged in psychological operations to demoralize enemy forces and mobilize civilians to either resist or evacuate. We also saw during the US and French elections what a coordinated media disinformation campaign can do. It didn't work as well in France as the US because people, including media outlets and French laws (barring reporting close to the election day) were ready after seeing the effects of the American elections, but media warfare and psychological operations are becoming a more important forcing during wartime. Often wars are not won or lost by the soldiers on the ground, but the sentiments of the people back home. Vietnam provides the historical example and media warfare can help cultivate unhappiness and sway public opinions.

[​IMG]

Those a few things I'd add, but I can't disagree with any of Pathfinder's points either. They are trends we've been seeing for a decade or two now and are tends most major militaries are striving for. Russia, China the United States, Europe needs to wake up a bit and India still lags behind organizationally, but it's the direction militaries are going. Autonomy is showing up everywhere and unmanned systems more in demand then ever before.

Pathfinder and Falcon like this.
  3. BlueHawk

BlueHawk Captain

Hobby:
    Sport
    It is fantastic to see how well America do and NATO member are able develop them self high tech warfare.

But what i see we lake of is leadership not only in America but also NATO members. But also NATO member who are not able to bring in tactical advice to America. It seems they have not learn or feel they are in a position to do so. But this one is very tin to say. If you are smart and very good in what you do. I would never have problem to go to America and give them the best advice in something i can see can be done better. So where is the problem is up to u to judge. Is it fixable yes it is. But you need to know what your doing.

Falcon likes this.
  4. Falcon

Falcon Lieutenant Colonel Staff Member Social Media Team

I think a trend to look out for is the death of the heavy tank, I don't think armor will ever be able to catch-up with the effectiveness of anti tank weapons. Today we have ATGM's and soon there will be battlefield deployable Rail guns firing extremely high velocity munitions that will cut through the armor of modern tanks like butter. The new armor isn't steel and weight, the new armor is active and passive protection systems design to eliminate and or jam/deter incoming projectiles.

@Technofox also brought in the electronic warfare aspect. EW has been around since radio communications were used on the battlefield, so what makes EW different today?

No personal communication system (Besides a loud voice and hand signals):

[​IMG]

Radio, GPS, Tablets etc.:

[​IMG]

As we progress deeper into the 21st century more and more soldiers will be dependent on electronic communications systems as the use of those systems begins define the operation of infantry units. Because we still have millions of troops around the world that still have the same type of equipment (in a general sense) that the men fighting in WW2 had.

Helmet, firearm, ammunition, a means to carry the ammunition (ammo belt), uniform.

Exhibit A:

[​IMG]

Helmet, firearm, ammunition, a means to carry the ammunition (vest), uniform.

Exhibit B:

[​IMG]

Not really a big difference between exhibit A and B.

Pathfinder and BlueHawk like this.
  5. BlueHawk

BlueHawk Captain

Hobby:
    Sport
    I spoke to American person to day. But before i start. I have xp on tings i type those not go to the right section. And you may ask why you post it here if it dont get proper feedback on it. But i can start with i know high ranked us military priorities Japan very high and they work hard and discipline to have good friendship and good team work. Good team work build also good friendship.

My first expression to this person she look steady and are the type who are passionate to do a good job. The person told me that it is important to work good team work and see the value in that. And the person work for US military. But reason i type this. Is the Okinawa military airfield. Americans are not working well as team with the Japanese. And it sounded for me that Americans are running the show and have forgotten to work good as a team. And that is not team building or friendship building. And if it is on one place it also can be any military base on Okinawa. If high ranker US military would hear this. They would find it totally unacceptable. She told me she did not like it when here own American was not so good at it.

IF i find out there will be witch hunt on this lady i will personal pay here good compensation she will never regret.(and i will hire her my self) Not before when my new job is in place.
    If there will not be taken any action to the higher lvl that means you will be in trouble. For i will find it out sooner or later. Dont ask why i posted this. There is a reason for every ting. Just say hi from me and say they are not so good to inform you. Then i mean the ppl on the topp.

Falcon likes this.
  6. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    Generally talking, there are types of war:
    1) Local conflict (or big war) between Tumbo and Yumbo tribes, and we are supporting one (or both) of them.
    2) Local conflict between civilisated country and Tumbo-Yumbo tribe.
    3) Local (may be proxy) conflict between civilisated country (like Korean or Vietnam) war.
    4) Big (nuclear) war between nuclear countries.

If you lost local conflict - you lost money. If you lost big war - you lost your country and people.

Pathfinder and Falcon like this.
  7. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    Europeans have a tradition - at least one time in century they, strong and united (sometimes semi-united) make a big crusade in Russia (Drang nach Osten) , and return home, washed with their blood and with "Russian occupants", who teach them how to live (and, sometimes, improving their genetic). We are sure, that XXI centure will not be exclude.

Big war consist from next stages:
    1. "Morning of dog's howling". Different political and economic games, sanctions, demonization of enemy in information fields local conflicts and so on. It's now.
    2. "Day of The Anger of The Lord". Very intense and cruel actions with generous using of any kind of weapon we have. Exange of nuclear strikes (special attention on Atlantic port cities), massive offence in Europe with wide use of tactical nukes. Building of invasion fleet and landing in North America (may be with allies).
    3. "Evening of crushing". Crushing of U.S. Army and different bandgroups. Reunion with Alaska (and, may be, California) Calm and systematic extermination of any remains of resistance. Delimitation of Canada-Mexican Border.
    Then begin peaceful time:
    4. "Night of love". How long it will be - depends from many factors, including political, economical, cultural.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  8. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

------------

Thanks for your input everyone, I want to say that I agree with almost everything said. I think an interesting topic though is how infantry will be transported around the battle field. We went from Trucks, to APC's to Helicopters in the past century (all 3 are used together) and in the the 21st century I think we will see new modes of transportation, especially autonomous and low altitude (10 feet maybe) hover systems. We will probably see things like jet packs as well.