32 Million Twitter Passwords May Have Been Leaked

Discussion in 'Cyber' started by Pathfinder, Jun 9, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

The world came to know about massive data breaches in some of the most popular social media websites including LinkedIn, MySpace, Tumblr, Fling, and VK.com when an unknown Russian hacker published the data dumps for sale on the underground black marketplace.

However, these are only data breaches that have been publicly disclosed by the hacker.

I wonder how much more stolen data sets this Russian, or other hackers are holding that have yet to be released.

The answer is still unknown, but the same hacker is now claiming another major data breach, this time, in Twitter.

Login credentials of more than 32 Million Twitter users are now being sold on the dark web marketplace for 10 Bitcoins (over $5,800).

LeakedSource, a search engine site that indexes leaked login credentials from data breaches, noted in a blog post that it received a copy of the Twitter database from Tessa88, the same alias used by the hacker who provided it hacked data from Russian social network VK.com last week.

The database includes usernames, email addresses, sometimes second email addresses, and plain-text passwords for more than 32 Million Twitter accounts.

Twitter strongly denied the claims by saying that "these usernames and credentials were not obtained by a Twitter data breach" – their "systems have not been breached," but LeakedSource believed that the data leak was the result of malware.

https://thehackernews.com/2016/06/hack-twitter-password.html

AMDR likes this.
  2. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Twitter:eek:!! Oh thank goodness. I thought it said Tinder:D.

Dodged a bullet there. I don't know if I could live with the shame|Bag|.

Spearfishing? Or a breach at a third party that links to Twitter?

Pathfinder and Vergennes like this.
  3. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

It could be multiple 3rd party breaches. Perhaps some internet plugins or whatever that sync with Twitter may have been compromised and thats how they got the passwords. This theory is dependent on them having access to the passwords, I would imagine that when you sign into those plugins you are only giving your password to Twitters authentication servers.

Tags: