Active Duty - Enlisted or Officer / Branch

Discussion in 'U.S. Army' started by Bandwagoner, Sep 29, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Ice Hockey
    Hello Everyone,

So I am in a bit of a situation and I am hoping to get some guidance on what I should do or what options are available to me. I currently go to a 4-year University and anticipate graduating this may with a BS in Aeronautical Management Technology (Air Transportation Management). I started college with a 4 year Army ROTC Scholarship out of high school and was in the program for three years. I slowly became irritated with the program, lost motivation, and ended up being disenrolled and lost my scholarship. As the Army had already paid for three years of my tuition, I had to pay this back either with service or cold hard cash. I knew that I wanted to go into the military either way so I chose to pay back with service. I now have an active duty contract for three years in which I am supposed to report for this July after graduation.

After talking with many prior service military friends over the last several months I have come to the conclusion that I want to continue to pursue becoming an officer, and not enlist per my current contract. Hear me out, I know I screwed up with ROTC and should have just stuck it out until the end, but what is done is done and now I need to keep looking forward.

I have a couple questions regarding this situation. Would I still be able to go to OCS/WOCS even though I was disenrolled from ROTC? If not, would I be able to change branches and pursue possibly the Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard? Or does anyone else have any other suggestions.

Initially when I was disenrolled I wanted to enlist and pursue becoming a Warrant Officer however I now know that this is a very difficult route and is hard if not impossible to get in writing before going to basic training. My overall goal and dream is and always has been to become a pilot. I don't care if it is C-130's with the Air Force, Blackhawks in the Army or anything in between. I currently have 60 hours of flight time in a Cessna 172 and absolutely love flying. So I hope to choose a route that will help me in becoming a pilot.

Any advice or information you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information I would be glad to give it just message me.

Thank you all for your time!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    In these types of instances, being disenrolled from ROTC under contract, you're generally obligated to either pay back the money or complete your service obligation without exception. Definitely talk to someone and explore all possible options.

If you were a contracted cadet in ROTC and disenrolled you will not be able to go to OCS/WOCS. OCS is very competitive and the requirements are even more strict then ROTC. Think of the difference between the two as Kindergarten versus High School. OSC is much more competitive. Non-scholarship cadets are discharged if disenrolled from ROTC, but for cadets on scholarship you must still meet your Military Service Obligation, pay back your financial obligation or face punitive actions.

If you were not a contracted cadet in ROTC, then yes, you should be able to explore OCS as an option.

As for switching branches, it isn't that easy. Each branch has different programs and different requirements. You could talk to a recruiter to see if a transfer program is an explorable route to take, but this is a difficult route to travel if you have existing obligations to one branch.

The best recourse is to talk with your ROO and recruiters and explore all your options, if there are alternatives.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Ice Hockey
    Yes I unfortunately was a contracted cadet so I suppose becoming an officer just might not be in the cards at this point. Maybe i'll just do my three years then pursue civilian aviation. I will go talk to ROO and some recruiters first to double check but thank you for your feedback.