Air Force pilot

Discussion in 'U.S. Air Force' started by Woolbright, May 8, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Woolbright

Woolbright Officer Candidate

Hello everyone. I've been looking into joining the military to become a pilot. I haven't talked to any recruiters yet because I hear they stretch the truth. My goal in the end is to fly for a commercial airline and I feel the military will be able to train me better for that. I have two questions: what are the chances that if I join I do become an Air Force pilot? Is it true that it is harder to join the air force rather than the other branches?

Thank you for your time.

Osmanovic likes this.
  2. Osmanovic

Osmanovic 1st Lieutenant

Start with Air Force ROTC. Its probably not a bad idea to get a pilot license and some flight hours while you are a senior in high school. One of my family members did that and he is now an air force pilot. He had good grades in school and was an accomplished boy scout.

3. Sven

Sven Teh Viking dood Industry Professional Ret. Military

Military Research
    Hobby:
    Computer stuff
    Why U no Navy:eek:!?!

The Navy has the world's best Air Force|Rage|!!

[​IMG]

If you meet the qualification and pass the testing, then your chances are good. Put a lot of effort into your job and you'll get a lot out of it. The hard part is meeting the qualifications.

To become a pilot in the US Air Force you need to have a bachelors degree, flight experience and knowledge - indulging of meteorology, aircraft operating procedures and air navigation - be between 18 and 28 and be mentally and physically fit.

This is in addition to Air Force Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training and a 9.5 week Officer training program at Maxwell AFB.

It never hurts to ask a recruiter either. For more info, check the USAF's website:

https://www.airforce.com/careers/detail/pilot/

That depends on what you're doing. The USN and USMC also have roles onboard ships and must train for escape and evasion and survival training on open waters and safe operating procedures on US ships, such as general quarters drills and firefighting. Being on ships also carries the complexity of landing on a moving target, so the branches have additional requirements when it comes to physical and mental fitness such as eyesight and depth perception. But this also doesn't mean its more difficult for you to become a pilot in the USN as requirement vary based on your experience in and out of the military.

http://www.navy.com/careers/aviation/naval-aviators.html#ft-qualifications-&-requirements

Not all roles are done at sea for the USMC and USN, and each of these will have their own set of standards too and the US Army also has an aviation branch.

How hard it is to become a pilot in any branch largely depends on what you're going to be flying and where.

Becoming an aviation officer has less stringent requirements in the US Army then it does in the US Air Force.

http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-j...sportation-and-aviation/aviation-officer.html

On average it's the USAF is the most difficult branch to become a pilot in as it requires a college degree as well as experience and prior knowledge.

Last edited: May 8, 2016