BAE, SAIC Named as Finalists in Marines ACV Competition

Discussion in 'U.S. Marine Corps' started by Admin, Nov 25, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Admin

Admin Captain Staff Member Administrator

BAE, SAIC Named as Finalists in Marines ACV Competition

QUANTICO, Va. — BAE Systems and SAIC beat out three other manufacturers in a competition to build engineering and manufacturing development prototype vehicles for the Marine Corps' next-generation Amphibious Combat Vehicle (ACV), which will ferry troops ashore and into battle, the service

http://www.defensenews.com/story/br...d-finalists-marines-acv-competition/76312760/

The two companies were selected from five competitors, and each was awarded a contract to build 13 vehicles now, with an option to build three additional vehicles each at a later date. BAE Systems’ contract is for $103.8 million, while SAIC’s is for $121.5 million.

http://news.usni.org/2015/11/24/mar...echicle-1-1-contracts-to-bae-systems-and-saic

BAE Systems’ ACV 1.1 solution is an advanced 8x8 open ocean-capable vehicle that is based on a platform developed by IVECO Defence Vehicles. It is equipped with a new 6-cylinder, 700HP power pack, which provides a significant power increase over the current Assault Amphibious Vehicle.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Systems-Team-Awarded-Development-Contract-U.S.

SAIC Terrex Fact Sheet:

https://www.saic.com/media/152765-SAICTERREX2_factsheet.pdf

Terrex:

maxresdefault.jpg

SAIC Terrex.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    AMDR likes this.
  2. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

The old AAVs are obsolete for today's battlefield. Insufficient mine protection, too tall, too wide, too big. I predict that many AAVs will be donated to allied nations in the pacific and the rest either scrapped or sold to collectors and other militaries.

AMDR likes this.
  3. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Hmm I wonder, will the new amphibious vehicles will be tracked or wheeled?

Falcon likes this.
  4. Falcon

For this program they will be wheeled. I am not sure if they will have any tracked Amphibious Fighting vehicles anymore. Lately the trend has been to eliminate lightly armored tracked vehicles. Looks like we will be operating light armored wheeled vehicles or heavily armored tracked vehicles like the Bradley. Nothing in the middle.

We have this but it is more for beach landings

Admin, Cossack25A1 and AMDR like this.
  5. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Well the amphibious vehicles traces its history back from World War II, and because now there are helicopters and vehicles such as LCAC that can land vehicles such as Bradley (if there will be a military operations that involves both the US Navy and US Army) and the Marines operating V-22s, I guess tracked light armored amphibious vehicles are redundant.

But I remember that there was a vehicle called "Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle" that was supposed to replace the AAVP.

Admin, Falcon and AMDR like this.
  6. Falcon

Admin, AMDR and Cossack25A1 like this.
  7. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Wheels on wet beach sand? A wheeled amphibious vehicle? Anyone know how the performance of wheels stacks up to tracks? I've driven in wet ground before... I got stuck:p.

I dunno, wheels seems out of place for an amphib:confused:. I guess that's what variable pressure wheels are for. Inflate for flat, hard ground, deflate for soft, uneven surfaces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A good rundown of the competitors here: One Of These Will Be The Next U.S. Marines Amphibious Combat Vehicle

Admin, Falcon and AMDR like this.
  8. Falcon

Wheels arn't the best but I think they are good once you get on shore because they are very quiet when driving. These are good for conducting quiet infiltrations on the enemies coast, I am not sure but I think some of these could be placed in Littoral Combat Ships and would be useful in that task.

Technofox and Admin like this.