"Bleed France white!"

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Cybermat47, Nov 4, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Cybermat47

Cybermat47 2nd Lieutenant

Student
    Hobby:
    Video games
    [​IMG]

100 years ago today, the 3rd French Republic and 2nd German Empire were locked in a titanic struggle over a small city near the Argonne, named Verdun. The city was famed throughout France with an almost religious significance, as during the Franco-Prussian War (Prussia was the kingdom responsible for uniting Germany in 1871), the city had held out against the invaders, only surrendering after Paris had surrendered.

The city had been fortified with 28 forts, the most famous of which was Fort Douamont.

[​IMG]

The importance of Verdun to France's morale was known to the German Army's Chief of Staff, General der Infanterie Erich von Falkenhayn, who devised an attack on Verdun. He stated his goal was not to take Verdun, but to lure the French Army into a destructive final battle that would "bleed France white". However, new evidence suggests that he did indeed want to take Verdun - his plan of wholesale slaughter was devised to cover up his failure to take the city.

The Battle of Verdun did not just affect France and Germany, however. With French forces indeed being bled white as they valiantly fought in the horrific conditions under the command of Divisional General Phillipe Petain, Russia and the British Empire and Commonwealth counterttacked the Germans, with General of Cavalry Alexsei Brusilov forcing Austro-Hungarian and German forces all the way to the Carpathians, and Field Marshal Lord Douglas Haig commencing the infamous Battle of the Somme. With German forces diverted as far east as the Ukraine, France was at last able to break the stalemate and force the Germans back.

156,000–162,000 French Soldiers died defending Verdun, and 143,000 German Soldiers died trying to take it from them. There were also a number of Russian aviators serving with the French Flying Corps in the battle.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Pathfinder likes this.
  2. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    My congratulations, bro, but losses less that 10% in the serios war are nothing.

3. Cybermat47

Student
    Hobby:
    Video games
    If you feel so strongly about such things, why not make threads about them?

Also, I think that the Germans, Frenchmen, and Russians who fought in the Battle of Verdun would disagree with you about it not being serious.

Pathfinder likes this.
  4. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    I'm not sure that it will be interesting to other members, but if you wish, I can make some posts. For example, Nov 5 (1582) was a conquest of Kashlyk, capital of Siberian Khanat. Nov 5 (1768) lands of Iroqueses between rivers Ohio and Tennessee were declared as property of British Crown. At Nov 5 (1895) in the Erzerum and Diarbekir Kurds has been genocided Armenians.
    What is more interesting for you?

Battle was serious, but losses were not serious. And modern French agree with me, becouse in the next war their losses will be at least 5-30 million in the first hour, and they ready to pay this price, saying that they are enemies of Russia.

5. Cybermat47

Student
    Hobby:
    Video games
    Don't bring modern politics into this thread, and stop assuming that people are stupid enough to start launching nukes.

This thread is to remember the French, German, and Russian soldiers and aviators who fought and died at Verdun. Not about what you think will happen in the future.

It's fairly obvious at this point that you're just trying to start a flame war.

6. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

image.jpeg

I would say that 330,000 + casualties for each side is a lot.

YarS and Cybermat47 like this.
  7. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    History is valuable becouse it help us to think about future.

No problem. It was an ordinary great battle, nothing more. Thanks for French and Russian soldiers. But 10% of killed is nothing. If you need examples of really heroic doings, we can remember defence of Osowiec Fortress, and "Attack of deadmen". 100% of fortress garrison were poisoned, more that 90% were killed. Remains of 13-th company under command of leitenant Kotlinskiy had counterattack German's and defeated them.[/quote]

Do you know principle of actualism?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2016
  8. Cybermat47

Student
    Hobby:
    Video games
    So you came to this forum just to insult our veterans (and yours!) and to threaten us.

That's great.

9. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    Sorry, man. I don't try to treaten you (or somebody else).
    I just wanna quote some words of Ecclesiast:
    What is time now? We'll see. But we must remember words of Christ (Mw 24:6):

"And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet."

Tags: