British Guilt in the Deaths of Two US Marines

Discussion in 'U.S. Marine Corps' started by Mancunian, Jan 7, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Mancunian

Mancunian Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Life
    Hello. I am a British veteran of the recent conflict in Helmand, Afghanistan.

This report is intended to honour those that deserve our respect, to call out those who don't and expose the reality of NATO's capabilities.

It is a long article so i am grateful to all who can at least take a look and maybe discuss it further here.

Thank-you, Anthony C Heaford

http://www.thequietmancunian.com/bastion-airfield-raid.html

YarS likes this.
  2. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    Hi, Mancunian.
    It is a very interesting article, and I have some questions. Why they didn't build concrete wall? Where were minefields? What's about of technical defence sensors?

Mancunian likes this.
  3. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
  4. Mancunian

Hobby:
    Life
    Thank-you for taking the time to view it.

The defences were fine as they were, even with only every other guard tower manned it should have been secure - assuming all the guard towers had night vision that is. But they didn't.

The other issue was the activity outside the base so close to the wire, especially the opium harvesting (from a mission point of view) and decisions like ordered not to fire flares because 'it disturbed the neighbours'. As Major General Sturdevant of the US Command stated:

"We literally had poppy growing right up against the perimeter fence. That was another thing that
    Major General Gurganus tried to take action on, but he wasn't able to accomplish that.

It was because the Afghans had to do it. We weren't allowed to.
    The biggest external threat to the base came from there”

But the British command wouldn't even acknowledge it - it was quite unreal. It was predictable and easily preventable too.​

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  5. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    My pleasure.

May be, may be not. Why they did't build concrete fence or mine fields?

6. Mancunian

Hobby:
    Life
    I am going to stick with my first answer - i believe the existing defences were sufficient, again with the assumption that all guard towers had night vision equipment. As a test please look at my profile pic (taken from my report) and tell me where in that picture you could move 15 hot bodies between the guard towers without being seen.

I guess the reason not to build a concrete wall and minefield was because of cost against benefit decision.

7. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    There are no such thing as a "sufficient defence". Improving of defence is an etheral process. Every year any commander must make a plan of improving his defence - in Motherland (slowly), or somewhere in foreign states (much more faster).
    And when you make your defence from concrete - you must understand quality of this concrete. When you make your defence from humans - you must know quality of human material. It is stupid to demand from African Tribeman skill in work with high-tech, it is stupid to demand from Arab high-endurance in the defence, it is stupid to demand vigilance from Brits. You can give them night vision devices, but they will not use it.

They are penny wise and pound stupid.