Canadian Forces to US Army transfer?

Discussion in 'U.S. Army' started by Mike Boland, Apr 1, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Mike Boland

Mike Boland Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Mountain Biking
    I have been serving in the Canadian Forces for 10 years as a Land Communications and Information Systems Technologist. I am curious if there is a transfer process to a similar trade in the US Army that would streamline the required citizenship process and recognize previous military service so I wouldn't have to start at the bottom of the barrel, so to speak.

2. Kat

Kat 1st Lieutenant

Kat
    Hobby:
    =^_^=
    If you age out of enlistment, then no, there's not going to be a recourse. But if you're within enlistment age and have prior service you'll need a 2 year greencard before enlisting (meaning there isn't a fast tract program), to submit your military service records and have a hand written request from your superiors in the Canadian Armed Forces explaining your service history and requesting that your time served be taken into account. That info will be move up the relevant chain of command in the US Army and they'll review it. Preference will be given to specializations that are in demand and it looks like you'd meet that criteria.

You'll need to go through basic, but once you make it through you'll start out at a higher ranking then you otherwise would, so you wont be starting over fresh, but you'll still be a lower rank then you would if you didn't leave the Canadian Armed Forces.

References from your superiors would be preferred as well and will help to smooth the process.

Keep in mind that if you do have term left on your service to the Canadian Armed Forces you'll need to fulfill that obligation first of have it be voided.

Always best to contact MEPS or recruiters to get a definitive answer from official channels. Both on the Canadian and US side.

3. Mike Boland

Mike Boland Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Mountain Biking
    Thank you for the info! My curiosity has been satiated for the moment. :)