Chances of becoming an officer in the USAF?

Discussion in 'U.S. Air Force' started by tbradford13, Jul 21, 2017.

Share This Page

1. tbradford13

tbradford13 Officer Candidate

Hello all:

I am a 22 year-old guy who will graduate in one year on the fast track with a Master's degree in GIS & Agriculture (aka drones & forestry). I have considered serving for a long time and, after some research, the Air Force looks like it would be the best fit for me. Though it is my dream to become a pilot (and therefore officer), just becoming an officer for now would be great. The recruiter I have spoken with briefly has told me that the Air Force Academy and ROTC get officer jobs first, followed by OTS candidates. According to her, the selection rate for an officer spot was only 20% for officers who completed OTS last year. However, with my high level degree, cumulative GPA of 3.6, and references from a couple people who worked in the federal government, she feels that I have a competitive chance, should I complete OTS (which I intend to following graduation).

My question is, based on this information, are my chances for becoming an officer very good (from your experiences/knowledge)? And if so, how selective is it for pilots? If not, should I be looking at other branches (e.g., Navy)? Also, if you have any other tips/pointers which might increase my chances, it would be much appreciated. Personal experience in the military and with recruiters are also welcome.

With Respect,

Tyler

2. BlueHawk

BlueHawk Captain

Hobby:
    Sport
    Hi Tyler!

To become a pilot it sound like you have all that it takes to become a pilot. And a good one. But just keep it in mind. You will go true allot of test. If you dont have the mentality and fitness you will not pass. I am just saying so u have the heads up. Let this information don't stop you before you have tried. Good luck and all the best!

tbradford13 likes this.