China Threatened Philippines with War if they Drilled for Oil

Discussion in 'East Asia & The Pacific' started by Falcon, May 19, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

Duterte: China threatened war in South China Sea if Philippines drills for oil

[​IMG]

Beijing threatened the Philippines with war if Manila pressed its claims over the disputed South China Sea islets and drilled for oil in the area, according to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte.
    Duterte produced his seemingly sensational comments while delivering a speech at the National Convention of the Philippine Coast Guard Auxiliary in Davao City. The Philippine president recalled Monday conversation with China’s President Xi Jinping regarding the disputed areas of the South China Sea and explained why he abstained from pressing the claims.

“I really said, ‘It’s ours. I’d like you to listen for a while.’ I said, ‘Mr. Xi Jinping, I would insist that that is ours and I will drill oil there,’” Duterte said.

The Chinese leader, however, allegedly threatened Duterte with an all-out conflict if the latter greenlighted drilling.

“[Xi Jinping] replied to me, ‘We are friends. We do not want to quarrel with you… We want to maintain the present warm relationship. But if you force the issue, we’ll go to war,’” Duterte said.

“What more could I say?” added Duterte.

https://www.rt.com/news/389021-duterte-china-war-islands-dispute/

Xi:But if you force the issue, we’ll go to war

Duterte: What more could I say?”

Does the Philippines doubt that the US will come to its aid? Its seem that is the case or else Duterte could have said that China would risk war with the US.

Zaslon likes this.
  2. hh2017

hh2017 Officer Candidate

Yes, the Philippines doubt the US will come to its aid. Look at how the last administration treat all of the US' allies' Example: Ukraine and Georgia need our help dealing with Russia but the last administration did nothing to help. I'm sure the current administration would go to help the Philippines. Duterte is thinking what if the war lasts longer than 4 years then what? What if the US elects someone like the guy in the last administration? The last administration did not uphold a lot of the agreements the US had with it allies. Demorcates or republican in office did not matter before the last administration because the US almost always held up it's end of the bargain before the last administration. I'm not being political. I'm just pointing out what happened during the last administration and why the US is now seen as a not so reliable ally now . So, please no hate speech. I'm not for any party one way or the other.

Falcon likes this.
  3. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    The Russo-Georgian War predates the Obama Administration though. However, the US provides training support for the Georgian Armed Forces including intelligence and direct material assistance. A combined NATO force called JTEC was established to train the Georgian Armed Forces post 2008 Russo-Georgian War.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Direct kinetic or intelligence support was politically risky and a non-starter for both the Obama and Bush administrations. But the US has helped to provide arms to Georgia, though it doesn't often provide direct assistance from US stocks or industries. Rather it assists Georgia's own arms companies to refine their standards or helps Georgia procure equipment from friendly countries like Turkey, Ukraine, Israel, France, Austria and Germany, from whom Georgia, along with its own industries, gets most of its equipment from.

The US was under no obligation to defend Georgia from attack. However, in the case of the Philippines, there is a defence treaty between the two sides so the US would be obligated to lend support, just like the evoking of NATO Article 5, which the US did to bring NATO into the Afghan War.

Under the Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances, Russia, the United States and United Kingdom gave Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan a promise to assist during a time of crisis or a during a threat to their territorial integrity in return for nuclear disarmament. France and China also gave assurances, but in a less strictly worded agreement.

Russia breeched its obligations to the Budapest Memorandum during its seizure of Crimea and intervention into the Eastern parts of Ukraine.

But on the US account, it's been noted that the Budapest Memorandum doesn't mandate a nation come to Ukraine's defence. Just provide assurances. That could be diplomatic, economic, logistical or military support. Or even just moral support. The Memorandum requires consultation between the signatories in the event of a breech or crisis relevant to it however. There are no legally obligated clauses for direct military intervention in the Budapest Memorandum for any signatories.

That said, following the annexation of Crimea the US and allied nations have stepped up support for Ukraine in much the same manner as Georgia, although the US is providing more direct military assistance then in Georgia's case. Like Georgia, Ukraine is invited to participate in NATO military exercises such a exercise Flaming Sword.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on what recourse would have been appropriate though. Direct military intervention against the Russians and their supporting element, in their myriad of quasi-states and unrecognized autonomous zones was never going to be an option.

Falcon likes this.
  4. hh2017

hh2017 Officer Candidate

I hear what your saying about the agreements but everyone knows/expect the US to at least posture to defend them from Russia. If the US did that then Russia would have backed off because even Putin didn't want a war with the US at that time.

Europe has this idealism of we take all immigrants because how can we not help others. This is such a wonderful thing that Europe does. However the last eight years the US stop a lot of their world peace keeping efforts. So, lots of the world went to hell in a hand basket which created a lot more immigrants for Europe to absorb. Europe can have such nice idealism if the world does not explode into crisis. Now Europe is having lots of problems dealing with immigrants and other social problems that come along with it including terrorists.

I'm not saying Europe needs to change its policies towards immigration but it's a lot hard to be idealistic when the world is on fire. I mean no disrespect for Europe because if it wasn't for Europe many peoples would suffer even more so.

You guys on this forum are such wonderful chaps. I bid you all farewell and peace. I had to reply to this one last post because it was directed at me.

Falcon likes this.
  5. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

@hh2017 has a good point and so does @Technofox but in general it seems that Europe and our middle eastern allies don't trust us very much to help them out in case big **** goes down. Yeah sure we were not obliged to protect Ukraine or Georgia but we could have done more to prevent what happened. Look the Turks were going to advance on Manbij held by the YPG and we sent troops to prevent that from happening. Something similar could have been done with Ukraine, but Ukraine did develop quickly but we did have prior intelligence that something was going to happen there, we actually instigated it but didn't plan far ahead enough to prevent Crimea unless we did an under the table deal. Looping back to the YPG, we basically screwed the Turks over by supporting the YPG so thats another example of us being unreliable and not making win-win deals with our allies. We could have supported Syrian rebels in a legit way the same way we are supporting the YPG now. We could have then created a serious safe zone and kept the Arab refugees there instead of them going to Europe. After they went to Europe France and Britain were like WTF because they wanted to create a no fly zone and safe zone with Turkey in Northern Syria. We could have used that to crush Al-Qaeda in Idlib province. Lets shift gears to Asia. Look at the Philippines, we were plotting to over throw Duterte. The same ambassador accused of the plot was kicked out of Bolivia after he was accused of inciting street protests and division in the country. What kind of message are we giving our allies with things like that. Even with Turkey, they want that Imam in Pennsylvania but we aren't sending him back. Why would anybody trust us? Look at Russia, they stick out for their allies diplomatically, militarily, and economically. Venezuela is in trouble and they are sending 60,000 tons of wheat a month to keep them on their feet. We used to be like that but not anymore (we still had the coup plotting and over throwing governments though :spinningdevil:)

Some positive things to mention though are the deployments to the baltic, our anti piracy mission in the Arabian Sea, our support for governments like those of Columbia in their war on drugs and I think our policy in asia is generally going in the right direction even though China is getting their way in the SCS.

Overall we need to change from an America always wins policy to we can both win policy and to win you don't have to be like me.

6. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    This is basically what the Chicoms want - they want us to be excessively dependent on them that they could put an "economic noose" around our necks and strangle us if we try to stand up again against the Chicoms.