Defense Department seeks to bring back anti-ballistic missile lasers—on drones

Discussion in 'Ballistic Missile Defense' started by AMDR, Jan 21, 2016.

Share This Page

1. AMDR

AMDR Captain Staff Member Administrator

Student
    DSC_8551 YAL-1A 00-0001 left side in flight l.jpg
    Boeing YAL-1 Airborne Laser

by Sean Gallagher - Jan 20, 2016 5:16pm EST

The Missile Defense Agency is giving a second look at the idea of airborne lasers as a defense against ballistic missiles. But this time, instead of using giant chemical lasers carried by enormous crewed aircraft, the MDA is hoping that solid-state lasers will soon be up to the job—and that they will be able to be carried by drones.

The rest of the article is here: http://arstechnica.com/information-...back-anti-ballistic-missile-lasers-on-drones/

Falcon, T-123456 and Admin like this.
  2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

I think we still have a long way to go until airborne lasers that posses the range and compact size can be used effectively against ballistic missiles. I did found an interesting paper or report online about the feasibility of anti ballistic missile missiles being launched from a UCAV, the researchers of the project or paper used computer simulators to show that it is possible.

"This project has shown that it is feasible to use Directed-Method Trajectory Shaping in air-launched anti-ballistic missiles from UCAVs in addition to launches from land and surface platforms. For greater accuracy, future work would be to investigate the effects of increasing the time-delay from ballistic missile target launch to interceptor missile carrier platform detection and launch of interceptor missile. In addition, a higherfidelity UCAV model could be developed and integrated with the model."
    Full study here:
    http://calhoun.nps.edu/bitstream/handle/10945/10643/11Dec%5FLu.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Falcon, T-123456 and AMDR like this.
  3. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

Neat report.

I think you are being too pessimistic, in about a decade or so I think it will be possible to have an effective laser on planes capable of zapping ballistic missiles. Look at the big radar on an AWAC, that's a big piece of equipment andplanes can carry that so if they make the laser at least the same weight as that radar then we should be good. By the time they develop a missiles that can fit onto a UCAV or build a UCAV big enough to carry a missile capable of shooting down a ballistic missile they could have already made the laser small enough to fit onto a regular plane.