Does the U.S have it's own Patriotic Pro Government Hackers?

Discussion in 'Cyber' started by Falcon, Nov 8, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

For years we have been reading reports and seeing incidents where nationalist hackers (some times state backed) have been targeting U.S government systems as well as U.S businesses. I know that we have people in the government-military who are trained hackers and can carry out offensive operations against other nations if need be but do we have non government-military people who go out and hack to help their government achieve its military-geopolitical goals just as the Russians, Chinese, and Iranians do? Or does the U.S offensive hacking community only consist of hackers who are of the anonymous type(anti government and establishment)? We have a lot of white hat hackers who do penetration testing to help secure our systems and we have a lot of good Info Sec guys who work on protecting our networks both civilian and government. Could we consider these guys Patriotic hackers of some sort?

I think this is an interesting question and I am not sure if this has been discussed or thought about yet in an intellectual and professional fashion. I am not encouraging anyone to conduct any type of illegal hacking that violates U.S or international law even if it is out of love for country. If you want to protect your country in the cyber world do it in a legal fashion by becoming a cyber security professional and working for a U.S company, the government, or military. This thread was created out of curiosity.