Does the US need Aircraft Carrier anymore ?

Discussion in 'U.S. Air Force' started by AirJordan, May 12, 2016.

?

Does the US need aircraft carrier anymore ?

1. Yes, it's the testament of U.S Navy powerhouse!

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, it's a waste of money.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Share This Page

1. AirJordan

AirJordan Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Basketbol
    Hi everyone, im new here.
    Just created an account so i can ask this question, Does the U.S need Aircraft Carrier anymore ? The reason i asked this question because the U.S already have close to 1000 bases around the world in over 130+ nations, range from Japan to Philippines, to middle east, to Africa to south america and to Germany, the U.S bases are so numerous it's more than every topten countries combined + more. So no matter what countries attacked U.S. The United States military might would annihilated those responsible for it within less than a day, this make the unique ability of aircraft carrier (to airstrike at any place and anytime) seem redundant. Sure the more the better, but these thing are very costly to maintain and operate, on top of that, there are better alternative option imho, such as the amphibious assault ships, they're both useful in sea battles as well as land invasion. Don't know about the price, but im pretty sure it's much cheaper to developed as well as operating.
    With the U.S plan to produce the next-gen aircraft carriers [Ford class]. I'm worried that they're spending on something that is rather luxury than necessity.

Falcon likes this.
  2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

We need air craft carriers to project power in distant lands and seas where we don't have air bases. Air craft carriers help us bring a lot of assets to a fight in an unpredictable manner. With an air base the enemy already knows how many units we have at that base but they don't know how many air craft carriers we will send somewhere.

Lets talk about money which I think is the main driver behind this discussion. Yes we do spend a lot of money on air craft carriers and I think the reason behind this is that we simply have a large number of them but we can afford to operate them. They are the backbone of our military power and in my opinion why we have some many allied governments around the world. They know that we can back them up.

20150625_Defense_GDP_Fo1.jpg

3. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

Hey Jordan,

I see where you are coming from and share a lot of the same concerns as you, including military overspending. We have enough bases all over so it would make sense to cut out a few aircraft carriers from our fleet. I think we can transfer some responsibilities to our regional allies like Japan that way we can save more money in the long run.

We have plenty of bases in East Asia:

military-west-pacific.jpg

Same thing applies to Europe, the location of our bases there are outdated. The news frontier is Eastern Europe but all of our forces are in Central Europe:

SReuropeanbasingmap1750px.jpg

4. Rida500

Rida500 Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    cricket
    yes they need it for defense

Falcon likes this.