Duterte might scrap EDCA within his term

Discussion in 'East Asia & The Pacific' started by Cossack25A1, Oct 25, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Duterte wants to scrap EDCA
    'We have the EDCA. Well, forget it,' the President says in a speech before departing for Japan

Pia Ranada
    @piaranada
    Published 1:42 PM, October 25, 2016
    Updated 6:56 PM, October 25, 2016

MANILA, Philippines – Once again shrouding military agreements with the United States in uncertainty, President Rodrigo Duterte said he doesn’t want to see soldiers of any foreign power in the Philippines.

“You have the EDCA (Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement). Well, forget it. If I stay here long enough, one day that EDCA will, if it’s an executive agreement then I will just [makes sweeping away gesture],” he said on Tuesday, October 25 at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 2.

He held a press conference right before departing for his official visit to Japan.

Without finishing his sentence about EDCA, he said, “I do not want to see any military man of any other nation except for the Philippine soldier.”

“That’s the long and short of it. I want an independent policy na hindi pasunod-sunod (that doesn’t follow anyone),” he added.

In a previous speech on October 2, the President already said he will have EDCA reviewed.

Signed in 2014 by the Aquino administration and the US government, EDCA gives US troops, planes, and ships increased rotational presence in Philippine military bases, and allows Washington to build facilities to store fuel and equipment here.

-----
    More -> http://www.rappler.com/nation/150262-duterte-edca-no-foreign-troops
    -----

YarS likes this.
  2. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    He is a clever guy.