Duterte to "back down" against China if he wins.

Discussion in 'East Asia & The Pacific' started by Cossack25A1, Apr 12, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Duterte willing to back down on sea dispute with China
    ABS-CBN News
    Posted at 11 Apr 2016 08:11 PM

MANILA – Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said he is willing to ''shut up'' about the West Philippine Sea dispute if he becomes president, as long as China will offer to build vital transportation facilities and other infrastructure in the Philippines.

Speaking at a press conference in Palawan last Thursday, Duterte said he is open to having joint exploration between the Philippines and China in the disputed waters, an approach the administration of President Benigno Aquino III has long dismissed.

''If you want, joint exploration. Kung wala akong pera pang-equipment ko, just give me my part,'' Duterte said.

Duterte said, if China will ''build me a train around Mindanao, build me train from Manila to Bicol... build me a train [going to] Batangas, for the six years that I'll be president, I'll shut up."

Duterte's position on the matter, perhaps the biggest foreign policy controversy facing the presidential bets in the May 9 elections, contradicts the position taken by the Aquino administration.

The administration has been averse to holding joint exploration with China, saying the latter would want the Philippines to play by its rules.

More -> http://news.abs-cbn.com/halalan2016...illing-to-back-down-on-sea-dispute-with-china

-----

Appeasing China is the worst option.

T-123456 and Pathfinder like this.
  2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Rodrigo Duterte: The Donald Trump of the Philippines?

He is accused of killing suspected criminals. He kisses female supporters on the lips and litters his campaign speeches with an endless stream of obscenities - he has even cursed the pope.

"He's the most outrageous, the most colourful and the most interesting character in this upcoming presidential election," says Marites Vitug, an author and investigative journalist.

During an interview in a remote jungle camp in rebel-controlled territory, Rolando Olamit, a commander with the Moro National Liberation Front, tells Al Jazeera why he wants to see Duterte elected.

"We believe Duterte can provide peace, can help the conflict in Mindanao, especially the poor people of Mindanao ... We've been waiting for this moment for decades," says Olamit.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fe...arry-philippine-politics-160410072246097.html

He looks like an interesting character. |Snaphappy|

3. Cossack25A1

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.

Is it sane to surrender territory in exchange of "development"? Surrendering 200 nautical miles of EEZ and even 12 miles nautical territory because China never respects others' territory except its own.

Isn't it like comparable to a prostitute asking for a "one-night-stand" with a sickly old geezer?

-----

Duterte’s last resort on West PH Sea: Let’s not insist on ownership
    The presidential bet says leaving the issue of ownership behind can lead to a better deal with China if there is no progress with the international case being pursued by the Philippines

Pia Ranada

@piaranada

Published 3:00 PM, April 15, 2016

Updated 3:00 PM, April 15, 2016

LIPA CITY, Philippines – A ruling on the Philippines’ case against China by an international tribunal on the West Philippine Sea dispute could come in April or May this year.

Rodrigo Duterte, the front-runner of the presidential race, said that if the case drags on too long, say for 3 years, or if China refuses to abide by the decision, the practical next step is to “make deals.”

“If the negotiation is not being done, or it is in still waters until now, maybe 3 years from now, I have to talk. You know, you have a problem, you have to make deals,” he said in Cainta on Tuesday, April 12.

One way to begin the process of bilateral talks, or one-on-one negotiations with China, he said, is to leave behind the discussion of who owns the disputed areas of the West Philippine Sea. (READ: SC Justice: Next president can't concede PH seas)

“We will not insist on the ownership for the simple reason that we cannot enforce our desire to own,” said Duterte on Thursday, April 15.

The Mindanaoan presidential bet has previously said he is open to joint exploration of the area with China, even saying that if the Philippines cannot put up the capital to conduct the exploration, he would be happy if China built 3 major railways for the country instead.

More -> http://www.rappler.com/nation/polit...rte-last-resort-west-philippine-sea-ownership

Pathfinder likes this.
  4. T-123456

T-123456 Captain Staff Member International Mod

I guess he doesnt know or care what the Phillipines will be losing when he keeps his word,if elected.

Pathfinder likes this.
  5. Cossack25A1

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    He was only a city mayor before he decided to run to become a president.

Pathfinder likes this.