Duterte to "back down" against China if he wins.

Discussion in 'East Asia & The Pacific' started by Cossack25A1, Apr 12, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Duterte willing to back down on sea dispute with China
    ABS-CBN News
    Posted at 11 Apr 2016 08:11 PM

MANILA – Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said he is willing to ''shut up'' about the West Philippine Sea dispute if he becomes president, as long as China will offer to build vital transportation facilities and other infrastructure in the Philippines.

Speaking at a press conference in Palawan last Thursday, Duterte said he is open to having joint exploration between the Philippines and China in the disputed waters, an approach the administration of President Benigno Aquino III has long dismissed.

''If you want, joint exploration. Kung wala akong pera pang-equipment ko, just give me my part,'' Duterte said.

Duterte said, if China will ''build me a train around Mindanao, build me train from Manila to Bicol... build me a train [going to] Batangas, for the six years that I'll be president, I'll shut up."

Duterte's position on the matter, perhaps the biggest foreign policy controversy facing the presidential bets in the May 9 elections, contradicts the position taken by the Aquino administration.

The administration has been averse to holding joint exploration with China, saying the latter would want the Philippines to play by its rules.

More -> http://news.abs-cbn.com/halalan2016...illing-to-back-down-on-sea-dispute-with-china

-----

Appeasing China is the worst option.

T-123456 and Pathfinder like this.
  2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Rodrigo Duterte: The Donald Trump of the Philippines?

He is accused of killing suspected criminals. He kisses female supporters on the lips and litters his campaign speeches with an endless stream of obscenities - he has even cursed the pope.

"He's the most outrageous, the most colourful and the most interesting character in this upcoming presidential election," says Marites Vitug, an author and investigative journalist.

During an interview in a remote jungle camp in rebel-controlled territory, Rolando Olamit, a commander with the Moro National Liberation Front, tells Al Jazeera why he wants to see Duterte elected.

"We believe Duterte can provide peace, can help the conflict in Mindanao, especially the poor people of Mindanao ... We've been waiting for this moment for decades," says Olamit.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fe...arry-philippine-politics-160410072246097.html

He looks like an interesting character. |Snaphappy|

3. Cossack25A1

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.

Is it sane to surrender territory in exchange of "development"? Surrendering 200 nautical miles of EEZ and even 12 miles nautical territory because China never respects others' territory except its own.

Isn't it like comparable to a prostitute asking for a "one-night-stand" with a sickly old geezer?

-----

Duterte’s last resort on West PH Sea: Let’s not insist on ownership
    The presidential bet says leaving the issue of ownership behind can lead to a better deal with China if there is no progress with the international case being pursued by the Philippines

Pia Ranada

@piaranada

Published 3:00 PM, April 15, 2016

Updated 3:00 PM, April 15, 2016

LIPA CITY, Philippines – A ruling on the Philippines’ case against China by an international tribunal on the West Philippine Sea dispute could come in April or May this year.

Rodrigo Duterte, the front-runner of the presidential race, said that if the case drags on too long, say for 3 years, or if China refuses to abide by the decision, the practical next step is to “make deals.”

“If the negotiation is not being done, or it is in still waters until now, maybe 3 years from now, I have to talk. You know, you have a problem, you have to make deals,” he said in Cainta on Tuesday, April 12.

One way to begin the process of bilateral talks, or one-on-one negotiations with China, he said, is to leave behind the discussion of who owns the disputed areas of the West Philippine Sea. (READ: SC Justice: Next president can't concede PH seas)

“We will not insist on the ownership for the simple reason that we cannot enforce our desire to own,” said Duterte on Thursday, April 15.

The Mindanaoan presidential bet has previously said he is open to joint exploration of the area with China, even saying that if the Philippines cannot put up the capital to conduct the exploration, he would be happy if China built 3 major railways for the country instead.

More -> http://www.rappler.com/nation/polit...rte-last-resort-west-philippine-sea-ownership

Pathfinder likes this.
  4. T-123456

T-123456 Captain Staff Member International Mod

I guess he doesnt know or care what the Phillipines will be losing when he keeps his word,if elected.

Pathfinder likes this.
  5. Cossack25A1

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    He was only a city mayor before he decided to run to become a president.

Pathfinder likes this.
  6. Cossack25A1

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Here is another certain problem which could not only lead to the loss of territory to China but also put a kibosh in military modernization.

Old news but this is rather telling...

-----

Duterte cheers rebels: ‘Mabuhay ang NPA’
    By: Karlos Manlupig
    @inquirerdotnet
    Inquirer Mindanao
    12:19 AM November 9th, 2015

DAVAO CITY—Mayor Rodrigo Duterte admitted calling out “Mabuhay ang NPA” during the release of two government soldiers in the mountains of Laak, Compostela Valley, on Tuesday.

The communist New People’s Army (NPA) had seized Pfc. Niño Alavaro and Pfc. Marjon Añover at a guerrilla checkpoint in Monkayo, Compostela Valley, on Sept. 30 and held them for investigation for “crimes against humanity” and “counter-revolutionary activities.”

“Mabuhay ang NPA, and I will not take that back,” Duterte repeated during his Sunday television program “Gikan sa Masa, Para sa Masa.”

But Duterte explained that his commendation of the communist rebel movement was in recognition of its “fair treatment” of “prisoners of war.”

The NPA surrendered its captives to Duterte.

“Wala akong nakita na inabuso nila na bihag (I have not seen any captives that they abused). Because they say they follow the Geneva Convention,” Duterte said.

The controversial mayor said he believed the NPA was “religiously following” international law when it came to handling captured policemen and soldiers.

“I salute you because you handed over the captives,” Duterte said, adding that he also jokingly chanted “Mabuhay si Duterte,” which got a favorable response from the NPA rebels.

“Bantay lang kayo sa (keep watch during the) election,” he told them in jest.

Duterte said that because the war with the communists could not be stopped, he was happy to at least know that the guerrillas treated “prisoners of war” according to the Geneva Convention.

-----

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/738022/duterte-cheers-rebels-mabuhay-ang-npa#ixzz466Rx8pof

-----

If he has such sentiments towards the Maoist armed rebel group, expect multiple coups during his term (from 2016 up to 2022) if he wins.

Pathfinder and Falcon like this.
  7. Sven

Sven Teh Viking dood Industry Professional Ret. Military

Military Research
    Hobby:
    Computer stuff
    Is anyone campaigning to kick out the Americans again? Or anyone openly welcoming a greater American presence?

Cossack25A1 and Pathfinder like this.
  8. Cossack25A1

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    At least three presidential candidates don't want the Americans here, two of them (Duterte and Binay) even want better relations with China.

Sven and Pathfinder like this.
  9. Sven

Sven Teh Viking dood Industry Professional Ret. Military

Military Research
    Hobby:
    Computer stuff
    Follow up question: who's polling best, or most likely to win? And what's their stance towards the US, China and the SCS?

Sorry, I don't really follow politics too much:D.

Actually, this Duterte guy sounds pretty terrible|Rage|!

A Philippine Presidential Candidate Said Some Truly Terrible Things About a Rape Victim

[​IMG]

One of the frontrunners for the Philippine presidency has been caught on tape airing several fairly damning thoughts on a brutal rape and murder that occurred in the country in 1989.

In a video uploaded to YouTube that’s since been removed, Rodrigo Duterte, 71, can be heard joking to an amused crowd about the killing of 36-year-old missionary Jacqueline Hamill. She and four other hostages were killed in a Davao prison during an inmate riot almost 30 years ago.

“They raped all of the women ... There was this Australian lay minister ... when they took them out ... I saw her face and I thought, ‘Son of a *****. What a pity ... they raped her, they all lined up. I was mad she was raped but she was so beautiful. I thought, the mayor should have been first.”

Duterte has spent nearly three decades as the mayor of the troubled city of Davao. He drew notoriety and earned the nickname “The Punisher” for his vigilante crime-fighting methods, which some speculate have been instrumental in Davao’s resurrection as a tourist destination. Specifically, Duterte has been connected to the Davao Death Squad, a group responsible for hundreds of execution-style murders “of drug traffickers, petty criminals, gang members and other lawless elements.”

Sorry for stealing the thread. I was looking around over at Gawker.com and this was the most recent article there:

http://gawker.com/

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Pathfinder likes this.
  10. Cossack25A1

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    If the polls are to be believed, Duterte might win.

When it comes to SCS, this issue becomes rather complicated for presidential candidates, though Duterte is the most confusing of them all; he says that we should stop claiming the sea area near the Philippine islands but at the same time, he said he will "defend" it.

Another presidential candidate, Jejomar Binay wants joint-exploration with China. A corruption case is filed against him.

Mar Roxas will continue the current administration's position regarding the disputes but his incompetence and corruption is an issue.

Grace Poe also pursues the same position as the current Aquino administration, but she is "newbie" in politics and her residential status is an issue.

Miriam Santiago supports the UNCLOS Case but is against US troops but in favor or PH military modernization but her health condition is an issue.

Sven likes this.