Final Joint PH-US Military Exercises

Discussion in 'East Asia & The Pacific' started by Cossack25A1, Sep 28, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Duterte: Next PH-US military exercises will be last in my term
    'You (US) are scheduled to hold war games again which China does not want. I will serve notice to you now, this will be the last military exercise,' says President Rodrigo Duterte in Hanoi

Pia Ranada

@piaranada
    Published 10:56 PM, September 28, 2016
    Updated 2:56 AM, September 29, 2016

HANOI, Vietnam (3rd UPDATE) – President Rodrigo Duterte said on Wednesday night, September 28, that the next joint military exercises between the Philippines and the United States will be the "last" under his term, as he does not want to antagonize China.

Duterte made the announcement before members of the Filipino community at the Intercontinental Hotel in this city, on the first day of his official visit to Vietnam.

"You (US) are scheduled to hold war games again which China does not want. I will serve notice to you now, this will be the last military exercise," he said.

Duterte even said he decided to make the announcement himself in order not to put Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana in an awkward position.

"Ayaw ko lang mapahiya si Defense Secretary (I just don't want to cause the Defense Secretary any embarrassment)," he said.

National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon Jr, however, told the media after Duterte's speech that the President likely meant the next military exercises, set to happen in October, will be the last for the year, not for Duterte's entire term.

"Ang pagkakaintindi ko (My understanding is), it's the last for the year…We will clarify," said Esperon.

The Philippines has a Mutual Defense Treaty with the US, inked in 1951. They also have a Visiting Forces Agreeement signed in 1998, which paved the way for the annual joint military exercises or war games, more popularly known as "Balikatan" exercises.

The military exercises seek to enhance the defense capability of Philippine troops through training exercises.

The two countries also have an Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA), an executive agreement that gives US troops, planes and ships increased rotational presence in Philippine military bases, and allows Washington to build facilities to store fuel and equipment there.

This year's joint military exercises were held in April. The next war games are supposed to be held in October.

-----
    More -> http://www.rappler.com/nation/147643-duterte-last-ph-us-military-exercises
    -----

==============================================================================================
    ==============================================================================================

Duterte declares upcoming Philippines-U.S. war games 'the last one'
    World News | Wed Sep 28, 2016 | 5:04pm EDT
    By Martin Petty | HANOI

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte plunged one of the United States' most important Asian alliances deeper into uncertainty on Wednesday by declaring upcoming U.S.-Philippine military exercises "the last", and ruling out any joint navy patrols.

The firebrand Duterte pledged to honor a longstanding security treaty with the United States but said China opposed joint marine drills in the Philippines starting next week and there would be no more war games with Washington after that.

"I am serving notice now to the Americans, this will be the last military exercise," Duterte said during a visit to Vietnam. "Jointly, Philippines-U.S.: the last one."

Duterte's remarks gave one of the strongest signs yet of fissures in a historic alliance that Washington has relied upon as it tries to cement its influence in Asia to counterbalance China's rapid rise. His foreign minister later said his comments had been taken out of context.

The Philippine military and U.S. Marines are due to hold annual amphibious landing exercises from Oct. 4 to 12 in the north of the Philippines main island Luzon. Military leaders from the two countries have also started preparing for a new set of exercises next year.

Duterte said he would establish "new alliances for trade and commerce" with Russia and China, but would maintain security agreements with Washington.

His near-daily outbursts against the United States began in earnest last month, when he spoke of alleged atrocities a century ago by the United States when it was the Philippines' colonial ruler.

Duterte then said he would order the pullout of the last remaining U.S. special forces stationed in the Philippines' restive south since 2002, who he said were complicating counter-insurgency operations.

Duterte told a gathering of the Filipino community in Hanoi there would be no chance of having naval patrols with Washington because it risked dragging the Philippines into a possible conflict with China.

He said any notion of conflict between the Philippines and China, which have long sparred over sovereignty in the South China Sea, were "not really anything, more imaginary".

The Philippines and the United States share concerns about China's military clout and pursuit of broad maritime claims, which overlap with those of Manila and other neighbors.

MISINTERPRETED

Asked repeatedly if Duterte was serious about ending military exercises with the United States, Foreign Secretary Perfecto Yasay said he was misunderstood and the remark taken out of context.

The only thing he ruled out was joint patrols beyond the Philippines' 12-nautical mile territorial waters, Yasay said.

"Our agreement, that will be respected and this is what the president clearly meant," he told a scrum of reporters, referring to a 1951 Mutual Defence Treaty.

But the latest comments add to uncertainty about what Duterte's end game is and whether Manila's next moves could complicate regional diplomacy or alter the status quo in the South China Sea.

Richard Jacobson, an American security expert, said Duterte's posturing could embolden China to exploit a testy relationship between two old allies.

"One could say that the U.S.-Philippines relationship might become strained and even shaken," Jacobson said.

"The U.S. geopolitical stakes in the region are much too high to react to his hyperbole. The current attitude in Washington is mature - more of patience than feeling provoked."

Duterte, 71, is hugely popular at home for his brash remarks and take-charge style. His volatility and frequent rants are a source of both amusement and concern, putting pressure on Philippine stocks and the peso currency.

-----
    More -> http://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-duterte-idUSKCN11Y1ZI
    -----

Pathfinder likes this.
  2. HIT AND RUN

HIT AND RUN Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Video Editing
    See, I was correct, as our brother China and Russia two major powers are having good relations with each other including Pakistan, now US is all too worried about. First, he convinced India, then after all convincing others to have some balance of its interests in that region.

3. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Immature, just plain stupid. Who will he do exercises with now? The enemy China?

4. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Duterte said he will establish "alliance" with Russia and China, so uhm yeah, it is no longer a pipe dream that a military exercise between Philippines and China may become a reality... which I would really hate to happen because I do not want PLA soldiers in my country - they would be a national security risk.

-----
    -----

And this thread is about Philippines, USA and China, so why are India and Pakistan being mentioned in this thread?

I see a PDF-style thread derailment being imported here.
    @mods

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    James David likes this.
  5. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    Friendly China.