Future Marine Mega-Drone May Carry Same Weapons as F-35

Discussion in 'U.S. Marine Corps' started by AMDR, Oct 29, 2016.

Share This Page

1. AMDR

AMDR Captain Staff Member Administrator

Student
    Future Marine Mega-Drone May Carry Same Weapons as F-35

[​IMG]Bell
    Helicopter's planned V-247 Vigilant unmanned, single-engine armed tiltrotor platform may be a candidate for the Marine Corps' plan for a mega-drone. (Illustration courtesy Bell Helicopter, a unit of Textron)

POSTED BY: HOPE HODGE SECK OCTOBER 27, 2016

The Marine Corps is in the hunt for a mega-drone that can take off and land vertically and deploy aboard ship — all while carrying a serious amount of firepower.

The service is asking a lot as it develops its MUX platform, short for Marine air-ground task force unmanned expeditionary capabilities, with plans to reach initial operational capability by 2026.

The Corps’ deputy commandant for aviation, Lt. Gen. Jon “Dog” Davis, said Wednesday at the Unmanned Systems Defense conference in Arlington, Virginia, that this future platform — a Group 5, the largest class of military drone — will be equipped to fight from sea as well as land.

“I would say we’re very aggressive with what we want that Group 5 to be,” Davis said. “I want my airplane to go off a seabase and, frankly, I think the Group 5 [unmanned aircraft system] for the Marine Corps will have [AIM-120 Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile] on there, will have AIM-9X [Sidewinder missile], will have all the weapons that an F-35 will carry, maybe even the sensors the F-35 will carry.

Rest of the article at: http://www.dodbuzz.com/2016/10/27/mega-drone-marines-weapons-f-35/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My comments:

Unmanned systems and autonomy are slowly coming to dominate the future. Three huge UAV programs confirmed coming into service within 2 years of each other.....B-21 (2025), MQ-25 (2025), and now MUX (2026). To say nothing of the new smaller UAVs (i.e. RQ-21) getting EW packages or drone swarms that they can fire out of the flare dispensers (Perdix).......by then the F-35 will be approaching 1500 units completed for the US, and they will have plenty of company from their unmanned buddies up there. Our adversaries will be flooded with UAVs of all sizes and types, and there will be nowhere to hide.

Pathfinder likes this.
  2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

We have a lot of great UAV projects going on but we need to make sure that they are affordable. When I mean affordable I mean that we can mass produce them for relatively low cost that way we can swarm the enemy.

AMDR likes this.
Tags: