If you could only have 1 gun

Discussion in 'Firearms & Gear' started by Pathfinder, Mar 26, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

If you could only own 1 firearm in your whole life what would it be? Think about the different ways you might need to use it throughout your life. A show piece, a self defense weapon, a hunting weapon etc. What if there is some type of economic-societal collapse and you need to survive for months or years on your own or with your family.

I am stuck between a 12 gauge shotgun and the Ruger 10-22. I like the shotgun because it can take down bigger game and birds without issue, It is also good for self defense. With the 10-22 you can carry a lot of ammunition and can hunt a lot of small game as well as stationary birds. For self defense it isn't ideal and for big game it isn't either.

Vergennes, T-123456, Atilla and 3 others like this.
  2. Sven

Sven Teh Viking dood Industry Professional Ret. Military

Military Research
    Hobby:
    Computer stuff
    My M21. She's the only gun I own, and the only gun I've ever needed. The .308 is powerful enough to drop anything I'd need to, while she's small enough for home-defense in close quarters. Easy to maintain, with a good sight and a wood stock to bash skulls if all else fails.

[​IMG]

All she lacks is full-auto capability, being a sniper weapon system (military surplus, I got to keep her when I retired from the USN).

I live in Virginia on a multi acre property in the middile of nowhere. If something happens, like a socioeconomic collapse, a shotgun would have limited utility - though my house is surrounded by woods. I'd rather have a marksman weapon to keep people on the road at distance and away from me, while using the powerful round and semi auto to prevent anyone or anything from using the woods as a hide.

I've been looking to get a thermal sight, that would definitely help ensure nothing dangerous Is using the woods near me.

[​IMG]

No hiding when you light up like a Christmas tree is July.

Gessler, Vergennes, T-123456 and 4 others like this.
  3. Falcon

Falcon Lieutenant Colonel Staff Member Social Media Team

If I lived in an urban area I would have a glock 19 and have one of these:

image.jpeg

If I lived in the Midwest where the terrain is flat I would have an M1a (M-14).

If I lived in the heavily wooded east coast in a suburban neighborhood I would have a 12ga shotgun.

It's hard to say what the best gun would be in all locations and scenarios, I think a .357 would be the best overall. You can use it for self defense and hunting.

I see the logic behind a .22lr rifle but I think that it isn't good enough at any one thing to be the only gun I own.

4. AMDR

AMDR Captain Staff Member Administrator

Student
    Like Sven, i'm gonna prefer a .308. The HK417 would be my choice.

It has the feel of an AR, which I love and are familiar with, but with a better punch at longer ranges on a more reliable and accurate platform.

And it also looks amazing ;)
    hk417_20-1.jpg

5. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    An AK model for me. Rugged, easy to maintain, semi and full auto, accurate enough for my needs with a hard-hitting round that'll penetrate anything you'd come up against.

[​IMG]

Good for hunting big game like Moose, but it'd obliterate small game:(. Reindeer tastes better then rabbit anyway:0::.

Might need an outfit to go with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  6. Atilla

Atilla Major

SAR K2 .45 ACP Semi Auto Pistol

eaa-sarsilmaz-gwjj15-left-682x383.1430422600.jpg

Sarsilmaz Quality

Since my initial test in 2011, I’ve toured Sarsilmaz’s factory firsthand in Turkey to confirm its state-of-the-art operations. Rivaling many of the weapons factories I’ve toured in the U.S., Sarsilmaz has some of the most advanced equipment available today. The factory, situated a couple of hours from Istanbul, is simply huge, brand new and truly cutting edge with seven CNC machines, 21st century logistics and highly skilled craftsmen. The entire plant was spotless, more like a medical supply facility than a gun factory. It was easily one of the best-looking weapons plants I’ve ever visited.

During my tour, it quickly became apparent that Sarsilmaz takes every step in its build process with the greatest attention to detail. All of its parts start from forgings—no castings. Most everything is made in-house to incredibly tight tolerances, and experienced gunsmiths assemble every single weapon. Of course, this results in some truly excellent firearms. As the supplier of pistols to the entirety of the military and police in Turkey, these are proven weapons with a long track record.

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/gun-test-eaa-sarsilmaz-k2/#eaa-sarsilmaz-gwjj15-left

Type Double Action semiautomatic
    Caliber(s) .45 ACP
    Weight unloaded 1140 g
    Length 210 mm
    Barrel length 116.5 mm
    Magazine capacity 14 rounds

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/tr/sarsilmaz-k2-45-e.html

7. initial_d

initial_d Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    traveling
    If its a rifle, i would choose FN SCAR H, and if it has to be hand gun i would prefer FN fnh 9c

Vergennes, T-123456 and Pathfinder like this.
  8. Myachiguy11

Myachiguy11 2nd Lieutenant

Historian
    Hobby:
    Military History
    I would prefer the M1 Garand because it is a very well hardened, proved rifle that is semi-auto, and has an 8 round clip. I am also a World War 2 enthusiast, and the American infantrymen's regular weapon was the M1.

Vergennes, Pathfinder and T-123456 like this.
  9. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

"In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised."- George S. Patton, Jr.

Vergennes likes this.
  10. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Except for that horrible "plink" sound it makes when it ejects a clip:confused:.

Have you seen the modern "Tactical" M1 Garand?

[​IMG]

Or the SOCOM 16?

[​IMG]

While I'd still prefer an M14 variant, as a marksman weapon, the M1 isn't a bad choice.

[​IMG]

Stocks have even seen action in modern conflicts like the Syrian Civil War!

Admin likes this.