Indian Navy: News & Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Defense Forum' started by Gessler, Jul 20, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Gessler

Gessler 1st Lieutenant Staff Member International Mod

Use this thread to post any general news or discussions about the Indian Navy, it's ships, submarines, aircraft, personnel, and it's future.

[​IMG]

AMDR, Pathfinder and Parikrama like this.
  2. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    @Gessler @Spectre @Parikrama tell me about the IN's special missions ships, i.e. intelligence, telemetry and tracking, testing and self defense, and stuff of that nature.

An example of what I'm looking for is INS Sagardhwani - a "research ship" with the cover story of oceanographic mapping and buoy recovery, which is an oft used euphemism for intelligence ships. I've also heard it's responsible for weapons testing:

[​IMG]

What other goodies do you guys have?

3. Gessler

Gessler 1st Lieutenant Staff Member International Mod

There are a total of 9 Research/Survey vessels: a single Sagardhwani-class, 7 Sandhayak-class and the first of 6 Makar-class catamarans...dunno how many of them are being used for Intelligence purposes, or how many CAN be used - I think only Sagardhwani, but I could be wrong.

[​IMG]
    INS Sagardhwani

[​IMG]
    INS Sarvekshak, a Sandhayak-class Survey vessel

[​IMG]
    INS Makar

But a new, dedicated ship has been sanctioned for Intel, T&T purposes - It's called the Ocean Surveillance Ship (OSS) project, and it appears the contract was awarded to Hindustan Shipyard Ltd. (HSL) on the Eastern coast. It displaces over 10,000-tons and given the render they provided...it has quite some space to mount all kinds of equipment.

[​IMG]

Don't know much else - sorry! @Parikrama ??

4. surya kiran

surya kiran 2nd Lieutenant

Trader
    Also used are the Sukanya class for testing ballistic missiles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Parikrama

Parikrama 2nd Lieutenant

snooze w/o booze
    Hobby:
    Sipping Tea/Coffee
    Lakshadeep sea that's one of the support ship for multi mission ship besides what mentioned above.

Navy has also planned to introduce 5 more utility and Special mission Ships in the fleet on Navy.The ships added are 4 Ships of Multi utility vessels type and 1 ship of Missile Range Instrumentation Vessel Type.The multi utility vessels are in the category of Displacement of 3,500 tonnes.

It's one of the areas IN is lacking proper ships and numbers. Hopefully we would be able to make up these numbers soon.

Pathfinder and Gessler like this.