Indian Space Developments : News & Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Defense Forum' started by surya kiran, Sep 8, 2016.

Share This Page

1. surya kiran

surya kiran 2nd Lieutenant

Trader
    Use this thread for posting updates & information about the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), affiliated agencies, and about the general developments regarding space research in the country.

GSLV Mk-2 F05 Launch Successful; INSAT-3DR in orbit

[​IMG]
    The GSLV-F05 being moved to the second launch pad at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota. Photo: ISRO

Launch was delayed by 40 minutes

The Indian Space Research Organisation's GSLV-F05 rocket, carrying the INSAT-3DR advanced weather satellite, lifted off from the Second Launch Pad of the Satish Dhawan Space Centre at 4.50 p.m. on Thursday.

The rocket, with the indigenously developed cryogenic upper stage as its fourth stage, will place the satellite, weighing 2,211-kg, in the Geostationary Transfer Orbit.

On being placed in the intended orbit, INSAT-3DR would use its own propulsion system to reach its final geosynchronous orbital home and be stationed at 74 deg East longitude, ISRO said.

The satellite is expected to provide a variety of meteorological services to the country.

Latest updates (with inputs from T.K. Rohit):

5.12 p.m.: ISRO chairman Kiran Kumar says the satellite has been put into orbit and the launch vehicle performed extremely well. "The third successful launch of the GSVL, with an indigenously developed cryogenic upper stage, has demonstrated its performance," says Unnikrishnan, director, SHAR.

5.12 p.m.: INSAT-3DR successfully injected into orbit after 1024 seconds (17 minutes).

4.54 p.m.: ISRO says the launch is successful.

4.50 p.m.: ISRO's GSLV-F05 carrying advanced weather satellite INSAT-3DR lifts off from Sriharikota

4.25 p.m.: “Yes. It has been delayed by 40 minutes. ...due to delay in cryostage filling operations, the launch is rescheduled to 4.50 PM,” says an ISRO official. Another official said, it may not be an “anomaly” but may be as a precautionary measure, it has been revised to 4.50 p.m.

3.43 p.m.: GSLV F05 launch has been delayed by 40 minutes, our correspondent T.K. Rohit reports.

3.37 p.m.: The country started on the GSLV rocket plan in the late 1980s and early 1990s so as to be able to put its 2,000-kg communication satellites to geosynchronous orbits at 36,000 km in space from its own soil. It suffered a setback from geopolitics combined with high-technology commerce: Russia, at the behest of the USA, went back on a deal to transfer critical cryogenic technology for the last and crucial stage of the rocket. Starting in the mid-1990s, ISRO has developed its own cryo engine and has tested it on three vehicles since 2010.

Twenty years on, that old dream vehicle is about to become ready for regular work. On the eve of its flight carrying the weather satellite INSAT-3DR, A.S.Kiran Kumar, ISRO Chairman and the fifth to preside over the GSLV programme, speaks to Madhumathi D.S. about what it means to our country.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2016
    Parikrama and Gessler like this.
  2. Gessler

Gessler 1st Lieutenant Staff Member International Mod

Some more pics of the LV...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw the launch live on TV but haven't come across many still images of it so far...will update the thread when I find them later.

I'd want to ask a question though...how about a dedicated space section? @Parikrama @Spectre

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Parikrama, Technofox and surya kiran like this.
  3. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Could have sworn you mentioned me here... even have the alert to prove it:confused:.

For a dedicated space thread or section, either under the Science and Technology sub-forum:

http://www.americanmilitaryforum.com/forums/forums/science-technology.44/

Or Air and Space:

http://www.americanmilitaryforum.com/forums/forums/air-space.76/

The Science and Tech subforum is more for civilian projects, while the Air and Space for military ones. Your choice and once you've decided, I'll move things, sticky stuff and do whatever else is needed.

Parikrama and Gessler like this.
  4. Gessler

Yes I did mention you and a whole bunch of others here at first. But then I thought I'd consult the other Indian members first (because it would be an ISRO thread, and if the Indians themselves didn't think it would be necessary/appropriate, I thought there would be no point consulting all the others about it).

But here's my doubt - the sections you mentioned are either about US agencies or an international news in the field. But I want a dedicated ISRO thread (under Indian subforum to avoid confusion). I'd continue developing this thread and once I've gotten a dozen posts or so I'll stick it and see what happens.

As far as people believe it won't be deviating too much from the basic concept/framework of AMF, which is military. That's a point where I'd want to hear some opinions. The other military forums of this sort usually have an exploding space section, but that, I believe has more to do with ultra-nationalism rather than any genuine interest in science & astronomy.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Parikrama and surya kiran like this.
  5. Gessler

Finally found some stills of the latest launch (F05) - this is the first time that the GSLV Mk-2 has made an operational flight with the Indian cryogenic engine. The flights of Mk-2 till now were Developmental flights with Indian engines, and those of Mk-1 were with procured Russian engines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A big thumbs-up for Ohsin at the NASASpaceFlight forum for finding the pics!

The GSLV Mk-2 F05 was carrying the INSAT-3DR, a GTO-based weather reconnaissance satellite with a launch mass of over 2.2 tons and a service life of 10 years; further info about which can be found here -

http://www.isro.gov.in/Spacecraft/insat-3dr

[​IMG]

Parikrama and surya kiran like this.