Indian Space Developments : News & Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Defense Forum' started by surya kiran, Sep 8, 2016.

Share This Page

1. surya kiran

surya kiran 2nd Lieutenant

Trader
    Use this thread for posting updates & information about the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), affiliated agencies, and about the general developments regarding space research in the country.

GSLV Mk-2 F05 Launch Successful; INSAT-3DR in orbit

[​IMG]
    The GSLV-F05 being moved to the second launch pad at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota. Photo: ISRO

Launch was delayed by 40 minutes

The Indian Space Research Organisation's GSLV-F05 rocket, carrying the INSAT-3DR advanced weather satellite, lifted off from the Second Launch Pad of the Satish Dhawan Space Centre at 4.50 p.m. on Thursday.

The rocket, with the indigenously developed cryogenic upper stage as its fourth stage, will place the satellite, weighing 2,211-kg, in the Geostationary Transfer Orbit.

On being placed in the intended orbit, INSAT-3DR would use its own propulsion system to reach its final geosynchronous orbital home and be stationed at 74 deg East longitude, ISRO said.

The satellite is expected to provide a variety of meteorological services to the country.

Latest updates (with inputs from T.K. Rohit):

5.12 p.m.: ISRO chairman Kiran Kumar says the satellite has been put into orbit and the launch vehicle performed extremely well. "The third successful launch of the GSVL, with an indigenously developed cryogenic upper stage, has demonstrated its performance," says Unnikrishnan, director, SHAR.

5.12 p.m.: INSAT-3DR successfully injected into orbit after 1024 seconds (17 minutes).

4.54 p.m.: ISRO says the launch is successful.

4.50 p.m.: ISRO's GSLV-F05 carrying advanced weather satellite INSAT-3DR lifts off from Sriharikota

4.25 p.m.: “Yes. It has been delayed by 40 minutes. ...due to delay in cryostage filling operations, the launch is rescheduled to 4.50 PM,” says an ISRO official. Another official said, it may not be an “anomaly” but may be as a precautionary measure, it has been revised to 4.50 p.m.

3.43 p.m.: GSLV F05 launch has been delayed by 40 minutes, our correspondent T.K. Rohit reports.

3.37 p.m.: The country started on the GSLV rocket plan in the late 1980s and early 1990s so as to be able to put its 2,000-kg communication satellites to geosynchronous orbits at 36,000 km in space from its own soil. It suffered a setback from geopolitics combined with high-technology commerce: Russia, at the behest of the USA, went back on a deal to transfer critical cryogenic technology for the last and crucial stage of the rocket. Starting in the mid-1990s, ISRO has developed its own cryo engine and has tested it on three vehicles since 2010.

Twenty years on, that old dream vehicle is about to become ready for regular work. On the eve of its flight carrying the weather satellite INSAT-3DR, A.S.Kiran Kumar, ISRO Chairman and the fifth to preside over the GSLV programme, speaks to Madhumathi D.S. about what it means to our country.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2016
    Parikrama and Gessler like this.
  2. Gessler

Gessler 1st Lieutenant Staff Member International Mod

Some more pics of the LV...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw the launch live on TV but haven't come across many still images of it so far...will update the thread when I find them later.

I'd want to ask a question though...how about a dedicated space section? @Parikrama @Spectre

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Parikrama, Technofox and surya kiran like this.
  3. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Could have sworn you mentioned me here... even have the alert to prove it:confused:.

For a dedicated space thread or section, either under the Science and Technology sub-forum:

http://www.americanmilitaryforum.com/forums/forums/science-technology.44/

Or Air and Space:

http://www.americanmilitaryforum.com/forums/forums/air-space.76/

The Science and Tech subforum is more for civilian projects, while the Air and Space for military ones. Your choice and once you've decided, I'll move things, sticky stuff and do whatever else is needed.

4. Gessler

Yes I did mention you and a whole bunch of others here at first. But then I thought I'd consult the other Indian members first (because it would be an ISRO thread, and if the Indians themselves didn't think it would be necessary/appropriate, I thought there would be no point consulting all the others about it).

But here's my doubt - the sections you mentioned are either about US agencies or an international news in the field. But I want a dedicated ISRO thread (under Indian subforum to avoid confusion). I'd continue developing this thread and once I've gotten a dozen posts or so I'll stick it and see what happens.

As far as people believe it won't be deviating too much from the basic concept/framework of AMF, which is military. That's a point where I'd want to hear some opinions. The other military forums of this sort usually have an exploding space section, but that, I believe has more to do with ultra-nationalism rather than any genuine interest in science & astronomy.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Parikrama and surya kiran like this.
  5. Gessler

Finally found some stills of the latest launch (F05) - this is the first time that the GSLV Mk-2 has made an operational flight with the Indian cryogenic engine. The flights of Mk-2 till now were Developmental flights with Indian engines, and those of Mk-1 were with procured Russian engines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A big thumbs-up for Ohsin at the NASASpaceFlight forum for finding the pics!

The GSLV Mk-2 F05 was carrying the INSAT-3DR, a GTO-based weather reconnaissance satellite with a launch mass of over 2.2 tons and a service life of 10 years; further info about which can be found here -

http://www.isro.gov.in/Spacecraft/insat-3dr

[​IMG]

Parikrama and surya kiran like this.
  6. surya kiran

surya kiran 2nd Lieutenant

Trader
    Gessler likes this.
  7. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Nationalism is surely part of other forum's space sections, but I curate this forums two (one for civilian and one for military). I play to the audience, so yes, there is a nationalistic sentiment there as well. I'm mostly interested in space however, but try to keep it US-centric for the audience.

You do have the power to make your own, where you'd like it to be and with whatever direction you'd want it to go. We don't dissuade such, only political discussion for the most part, but even there if the quality is high we can make exceptions too.

So yes, @Gessler you've free reign to create an indo-centric space thread and place it where you deem it appropriate. And being the mod of this section, you've also the power to groom it to your hearts content|Cat|. Play to your audience. If that isn't American viewers, that's ok too. The more diverse our content gets, the more diverse our membership becomes.

I support your venture, but will leave the ultimate decision to you.

8. Gessler

Diversity...ahh, the liberal nigtmare is nigh!

Alright then, I'll rename & develop this as the ISRO thread...no need to start a new one. And groom it I shall...

[​IMG]

I'll consider pinning it at some point (the thread, not the cat), but not just yet.

Parikrama likes this.
  9. Parikrama

Parikrama 2nd Lieutenant

snooze w/o booze
    Hobby:
    Sipping Tea/Coffee
    Awesome posts @Gessler - The pics are too good..

We should have added few lines like

Announcers choice comments

• Lift Off Naarmal
    • Separation Naarmal
    • Cryogenic Engine ignited
    • Cryo parfarmance naarmal
    • Cryogenic Staage separated
    • Saatelite Separated
    • Success success success

(ignore the spellings but its how announcer pronounced)

Some good solid data

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Credit anant_s

Gessler likes this.
  10. Gessler

A brief overlook of the various LVs developed by ISRO so far;

Satellite Launch Vehicle III (SLV-3)
    [​IMG]

First launch: 17 August, 1979
    Height: 22m
    Launch Mass: 17 tons
    Payload to LEO: 40 kgs

--

Augmented Satellite Launch Vehicle (ASLV)
    [​IMG]

First launch: 24 March, 1987
    Height: 24m
    Launch Mass: 41 tons
    Payload to LEO: 150 kgs

--

Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV)
    [​IMG]

First launch: 20 September, 1993
    Height: 44m
    Launch Mass: 230 tons (only core), 295 tons with standard boosters
    Payload to LEO: 3800 kgs
    Payload to SSO: 1750 kgs
    Payload to GTO: 1425 kgs

--

Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mk. I (GSLV Mk-1)
    [​IMG]

First launch: 18 April, 2001
    Height: 49.13m
    Launch Mass: 414.7 tons
    Payload to LEO: 5000 kgs
    Payload to GTO: 2500 kgs

--

PSLV-XL (Upgraded)
    [​IMG]

First launch: 22 October, 2008
    Height: 44m
    Launch Mass: 320 tons
    Payload capacities are improved over the previous version, specifics unknown

--

GSLV Mk-2 (specs are the same as the Mk-1, but the cryogenic engine is Indian-made)
    [​IMG]

First launch: 15 April, 2010

--

FUTURE LAUNCHER PROJECTS

GSLV Mk-3 (LVM3)
    [​IMG]

First launch: 18 December, 2014
    Height: 43.43m
    Launch Mass: 640 tons
    Payload to LEO: 8000 kgs
    Payload to GTO : 4000 kgs

--

Unified Launch Vehicle (ULV) Program
    [​IMG]

The ULV is a whole family of launch vehicles being developed to potentially replace all earlier launchers with a common, customizable platform. As the picture above shows, the specs are listed from the smallest to the biggest configuration touted to be in the series
    Height: Unknown, fairly similar to LVM3
    Launch Mass: 270 tons (min), 700 tons (max)
    Payload to LEO: 4500 kgs (min), 15000 kgs (max)
    Payload to GTO: 1500 kgs (min), 6000-6500 kgs (max)

--

Re-usable Launch Vehicle (RLV)
    [​IMG]

First launch: 23 May, 2016
    Only the TD (Tech Demonstrator) has been flown so far, and it is roughly similar in size to the Boeing X-37B spaceplane (or the X-40 demonstrator that preceded it). The RLV is designed to incorporate the concepts of reusable technology with Scramjet/hybrid propulsion. The completed RLV will be around 6 times the current size, will take off horizontally from runways, deploy it's payloads and land back on ground under it's own power. Very similar in concept to the Skylon project. Both manned & unmanned variants will be made.

Heavy/Super-Heavy Launch Vehicle (HLV/SHLV) Projects
    [​IMG]

In early stages of design & development are heavier LVs designed to throw larger, potentially habitable payloads into LEO, SSO, GTO & Lunar Transfer orbits. Expect LEO payload capacities to start in the region of around 25,000 kgs and eventually go up to 100,000 kgs at some point. It's believed that the first HLV might be developed from the biggest ULV variant, making it an unofficial part of the family.

I will update the thread later with some missions/satellite-related info, but one thing is clear - ISRO is really looking to step up international cooperation in space. Joint missions with Russia/US are a possibility in the near/not-too-distant future. Recent meetings with NASA are proceeding toward that goal.

Let's hope it'll all be an eventful & exciting journey, for scientists & civilians alike!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Indx-techs and Parikrama like this.