Indonesia to deploy Skyshield air defence system in South China Sea

Discussion in 'East Asia & The Pacific' started by Pathfinder, Apr 6, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Indonesia to deploy Skyshield air defence system in South China Sea

1651559_-_main.jpg

The Indonesian Air Force (Tentara Nasional Indonesia - Angkatan Udara, or TNI-AU) is preparing to deploy four units of a special forces ground corps known as the Korps Pasukan Khas (PASKHAS) on Pulau Natuna Besar, the largest of the Natuna Islands cluster in the South China Sea.

The units are equipped with the Rheinmetall-made Oerlikon Skyshield air defence system and will be stationed in the north of Pulau Natuna Besar and along the eastern coast of the TNI-AU's Ranai airbase.

The planned deployment was revealed in a transcript provided to IHS Jane's on 5 April of a meeting on TNI-AU funding requests between Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI) commander General Gatot Nurmantyo and the Indonesian House of Representatives commission on defence, intelligence, and foreign affairs (Komisi I).

More:
    http://www.janes.com/article/59305/...yshield-air-defence-system-in-south-china-sea

We need something like the Sky Shield, I don't fully trust lasers for taking out incoming cruise missiles.

T-123456, AMDR, Falcon and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sven

Sven Teh Viking dood Industry Professional Ret. Military

Military Research
    Hobby:
    Computer stuff
    Something like Pantsir-1 would be favorable. A missile-gun combo:

[​IMG]

But I like the idea go doing away with the guns altogether. So maybe up the use of the Avenger Air Defense System? Stingers and a laser defense weapon?

[​IMG]

Ideally I'd like to see a laser next to a longer-ranged missile, as opposed to the short-range Stinger on the Avenger, but I think the concept is workable.

T-123456, AMDR, Falcon and 1 other person like this.
  3. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

I agree, something like the Panstir would be great. I only see systems like that in Eastern Military's. Always wondered why our side never picked up on that. We are keeping our missiles and canons separate, the Soviets did it too but later on with the Tunguska they mixed them,

4. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

Hold your horses, the military won't put anything into service that doesn't function properly or isn't proven to work. The question is how long will it take to have an effective anti everything that flies laser. If that is going to take another decade then we should be concerned because Russia and China now have very serious cruise missile capabilities, something like the SkyShield could be acquired in limited numbers to be deployed in East Asia and Europe as a stop gap until effective lasers are put into service.

Laser SkyShield, still zaps too slow for me.