Indonesian hostages freed

Discussion in 'East Asia & The Pacific' started by Cossack25A1, May 1, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Philippines: Abu Sayyaf frees 10 Indonesian captives
    Local police say sailors held for five weeks by armed group are released on southern Jolo island.

-----

01 May 2016 11:08 GMT
    Asia Pacific, Philippines

Ten Indonesian sailors abducted by Abu Sayyaf fighters have been freed in the southern Philippines after five weeks in captivity, local police said.

Unknown men dropped off the 10 tugboat crewmen at the home of provincial governor Abdusakur Tan Jnr on the remote island of Jolo on Sunday, Jolo police chief Junpikar Sitin told the AFP news agency.

"The report [of their release] is confirmed. They were there. I saw them," Sitin said.

The condition of the former captives was not immediately known, though Sitin said the group ate lunch at the governor's home.

-----

More ->http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/...yyaf-indonesian-captives-160501073913227.html

Pathfinder, Sven and T-123456 like this.
  2. Sven

Sven Teh Viking dood Industry Professional Ret. Military

Military Research
    Hobby:
    Computer stuff
    Glad to hear! But dang, Abu Sayyaf's been a pain in the butt for a while now.

I went to the Philippines in the mid-2000s during an extend leave period while in the USN, I've done work with Operation Smile. We had to undergo a seminar regarding these guys and how to behave if we were taken hostage.

I slept with a K-Bar under my pillow while in country and contemplated trying to stash my issued side-arm in with the medical equipment we brought along:D. Ultimately that didn't go through. I doubt I'd get it past customs anyway,
    [​IMG]

Are US forces providing assistance in dealing with them?

Cossack25A1 and Pathfinder like this.
  3. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Off topic but how do you like the KA-Bar?

Cossack25A1 likes this.
  4. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    The US forces assist the PH military through training exercises only, though there may be times that the US military directly supported the PH military against the ASG.

Sven likes this.
  5. Sven

Sven Teh Viking dood Industry Professional Ret. Military

Military Research
    Hobby:
    Computer stuff
    It's a great piece of kit and an excellent utility knife. But I actually prefer the 4 in blades more in combat. I was issued a Strider SMF for wire and sheath cutting in the USN, common among electrical techs at the time, and becoming more standardized now:

[​IMG]

The smaller blades are ruthlessly efficient at cutting flesh. Long enough to hit vital organs, but small enough not to over penetrate and get stuck in bones, which is something the larger, weighted knives have an issue with.

KA-Bar makes them great though, I really don't have anything bad to say about them.

I own a Buckmaster 184 at the moment.

[​IMG]

Pathfinder likes this.
  6. James David

James David Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Reading
    @Sven have you tasted the local beer and sisig? You should buddy!! Its heaven! Nice people too!

7. James David

James David Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Reading
    Here you go @Sven !!! Sisig and SMB.jpg