Iraq Starts Offensive Against Kurdish Held Kirkuk

Discussion in 'The Middle East & North Africa' started by Falcon, Oct 15, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Falcon

Falcon Lieutenant Colonel Staff Member Social Media Team

IRAQ BEGINS OFFENSIVE TO CAPTURE KIRKUK FROM IRAQI KURDS

Iraqi security forces have launched a "major operation" in the Kurdish-held region of Kirkuk to take control of a strategic military base and oil fields, according Kurdish and Iraqi officials.

The aim of the advance early on Monday was taking control of the Kurdish-controlled K1 airbase, west of Kirkuk, Lieutenant Colonel Salah el-Kinani, of the Iraqi army's 9th armoured division, told Reuters news agency.

Iraqi forces took control of "vast areas" in the oil-rich region without any opposition from Kurdish Peshmerga fighters, state TV said.

The Kurdistan Region Security Council had earlier said that Iraqi forces and members of the Popular Mobilisation Force (PMF) - paramilitary units largely made up of Iran-trained Shia militias - were advancing from Taza, south of Kirkuk, in a "major operation".

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/...h-major-kirkuk-operation-171015220651177.html

T-123456 likes this.
  2. BlueHawk

BlueHawk Major

Hobby:
    Sport
    I cant understand how the Kurdistan have played so bad there cards on this one.

Tirdad and Falcon like this.
  3. Falcon

Falcon Lieutenant Colonel Staff Member Social Media Team

The Kurds were chased out of Kirkuk by the Iraqi Army

4. Tirdad

Tirdad 2nd Lieutenant

i dont know !!!
    Hobby:
    ww2 military history
    They are concentrating there forces.

maybe for a major offensive?

i dont know.

no news from west of Iran.

Falcon likes this.
  5. BlueHawk

BlueHawk Major

Hobby:
    Sport
    @Tirdad I mean that the Kurds have made a bad judgment by voting for independent when Iraq have fighting for holding there country. Bad timing. If you ask me. If the Kurds would have played smart. They will stay loyal and use there oil money on building there cities/country. When there is no more oil maybe then ask for independent. They would also have a good time on building nice cities and good economy. Now they are running of risk of loosing allot of money. Maybe Iraq will stop being nice with them.

Falcon and Tirdad like this.