Is the war on drugs more important than the war on terror?

Discussion in 'U.S. Strategic Affairs' started by Falcon, Jul 24, 2016.

?

Which war should we spend more resources on?

1. The War on Drugs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The War on Terror

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Share This Page

1. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

The drug epidemic being experienced in the America's is leading to tens of thousands of deaths across the continent and is creating massive societal problems in the US thus leading to other economic problems in our country. South American countries are being corrupted with drug money and are plagued with crime. The human, economic, and social costs of drugs are immense when compared to the war on terror yet it is given less attention and importance in the media and by our government. Why is this? Shouldn't American drones be striking drug production facilities in the mountains of Mexico and the jungles of Columbia? Shouldn't we have more troops patrolling our southern border?

2. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    The war on drugs touches all nations in ways that terrorism doesn't... and the product of the war on drugs can at times be undistinguishable from terrorism.

Let's not forget that the war on drugs doesn't stop in South, Central or North America, we have criminal gangs, that same criminal gangs from El Salvador, Columbia and Mexico in Europe too. This in addition to domestic groups, African cartels and Asian pushers.

We have terrorism in Europe too, it's been hard to miss the past few months, but it waxes and wanes and drugs continually eat away even when terrorism fades.

Norway is a fairly drug adverse nation, heck we even limit the sale of Aspirin, and is one that isn't yet touched by terrorism, but the effects of drugs are felt in our nation. Terrorism is a distant fear.

But I think the approach to drugs is all wrong. Rehabilitation, not punishment for users. Legalization and decriminalization for producers - though the cost must come down because if legal drugs are too expensive then the dealers of illicitly produced drugs can once again gain a foothold due to lower cost. Expanded scientific research on the long-term effects and medicinal uses for drugs, which is currently barred in the US.

The war on drugs as it is, a zero-tolerance approach is wrong. It's been wrong for decades. Time for a new approach.

This isn't working anywhere in the world:

[​IMG]

Maybe try this instead:

[​IMG]

And from a US perspective, I'd say drugs are a much more serious concern then terrorism. Terrorist incidents get headlines, but drug abuse, sales and the effects of both are a long-term poison for the US economy, people and society.

Or look at Russia's problems with drugs versus its relatively minimal issues with terrorism in modern times (though that was different in the 90s).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    Pathfinder likes this.
  3. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

I agree the approach is wrong, personally I don't like the idea of legalizing any kinds of drugs other than medical drugs because we could end up with a really messed up society but I agree throwing people in jail probably won't solve the problem. I think building a wall on the border with Mexico could help some by making it more difficult to bring drugs in but then again a lot of dealers just smuggle them in through the border gates anyway and pay off the border guards. It's a tough fight to win, we should work to reduce the demand for drugs, we need more public education about them from early childhood. We also need to try and help South American governments provide alternatives to poor farmers so that they can grow things other than coca or marijuana.

Both wars are important but I think the government and media could talk about our drug problems more.