Japan to supply Philippines with military equipment

Discussion in 'East Asia & The Pacific' started by AMDR, Feb 28, 2016.

Share This Page

1. AMDR

AMDR Captain Staff Member Administrator

Student
    Japan to supply Philippines with military equipment
    AP
    MANILA – Japan will sign an accord with the Philippines to allow Tokyo to supply military equipment to Manila, the first such Japanese defense pact in a region where both have expressed alarm over China’s island-building and other aggressive acts in disputed waters.

Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said Saturday that the agreement he will sign on Monday with the Japanese ambassador in Manila is not directed against any country but aims to address gaps in the underfunded Philippine military’s capabilities.

Read the rest of the article here: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ippines-with-military-equipment/#.VtLZW5wrLcd

Atilla, Falcon and Pathfinder like this.
  2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

I wonder what they will be buying? Maybe night vision equipment and electro optics to test the waters?

@Cossack25A1

AMDR likes this.
  3. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Probably naval assets and patrol aircraft, as the only well-known "export" of Japan to the Philippines are coast guard ships.

Honestly, I would prefer European or American-made weapons (or even Russian-made weapons) because the weapons made by those countries as battle-tested whereas Japan's weapons are only used for parades and has only seen "action" in training exercises and anime shows.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  4. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

They must have some good qualities because your country is buying them. I am sure that they went through rigorous tests and came out on top of the competition. A done side to Japanese equipment is that Japan doesn't have any military experience so when they design a piece of equipment they design it based on what they theoretically need. Another thing to consider is that they were not exporting anything until recently. Most of their indigenous gear is designed for domestic requirements not necessarily to be marketed to international customers.

5. Cossack25A1

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Probably naval assets and patrol aircraft, as the only well-known "export" of Japan to the Philippines are coast guard ships.
    I am not sure if the requirements needed by the JSDF is similar to the AFP given that both Japan and the Philippines are archipelagos, but looking at the modernization, it would seem that the AFP is interested in acquiring frigates armed with anti-ship missiles and that the PH Navy would prefer a new frigate (that has anti-ship missile weapon) instead of a refurbished one.

http://www.janes.com/article/57933/...igate-programme-to-support-local-construction

6. Cossack25A1

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Also, simply because of one Japanese man, I can no longer trust having JSDF in my country, or any Japan-made military equipment being used by my country's military.

T-123456 likes this.
  7. anon45

anon45 Officer Candidate

Hi Cossack, if you are talking about who I think you are talking about, don't generalize him to all of Japan, every country has their outliers, and his views represent none but his own and maybe a very small minority.

Cossack25A1 and Falcon like this.
  8. T-123456

T-123456 Captain Staff Member International Mod

My friend,dont Judge a nation because of a personal opinion,Japanese military equipment is at least as good as European if not better.
    Japan doesnt sell out allies,never did and never will.

Cossack25A1 likes this.
  9. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Pathfinder likes this.