Looking for advice for an officer friend of mine in terms of changing branches

Discussion in 'U.S. Army' started by Kyra, Jan 17, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Kyra

Kyra Officer Candidate

So I have a buddy who is currently stuck at ibolc for Infantry officer training. They smacked him with a diagnosis of moderate asthma that is controlled with an inhaler and allergy meds. He can easily pass his pt test he just has difficulties doing the more taxing distance rucks and longer runs that they love to do. Given his condition doesnt effect his ability to perform normal duties and he wants to change to a less rigorous mos such as intelligence or something silimar. Apparently the CO is not willing to sign for anyone to transfer forcing them to get out if they cant finish infantry. Any advice on steps to take to get a transfer and not tank his career?

Pathfinder likes this.
  2. Vipfam 7

Vipfam 7 Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Anything with family
    Has he received any advice from the PA (Physician Assistant or another medical professional)? The amount of money that is spent on a recruit, it seems that they would be willing to work with him.

Admin likes this.
  3. Admin

Admin Captain Staff Member Administrator

FaceBook Has SPOKEN!!!!!

Gary NorthHonestly the fact that they aren't straight giving him the boot for having asthma is already really surprisingly lenient of them. Can't offer much advice but I'd be careful about causing a stir with it cus good chance of them just saying eh you aren't worth the trouble.

Sfc David WellerDon't have asthma

Frank Boardwinetransfer to the navy. the most rigorous thing he'll have to do is wrestle a triple cheeseburger! lol

4. Jbeezy

Jbeezy Officer Candidate

I went through exactly that process for a much worse injury and the actual doctor there needs to deem him capable of performing in other branches and not in Infantry. This would be called an MMRB (MOS Medical retention board) and NOT an MEB (Medical Evaluation Board). Once the doctor does that, he can begin the medical review in order to change his MOS.