Marine general to Congress: We might not be ready for another war

Discussion in 'U.S. Marine Corps' started by Vergennes, Mar 16, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Vergennes

Vergennes Captain Staff Member Ret. Military International Mod

WASHINGTON — If the Marines were called today to respond to an unexpected crisis, they might not be ready, a top Marine general told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Tuesday.

Gen. John Paxton, assistant commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps, testified to lawmakers that the Marines could face more casualties in a war and might not be able to deter a potential enemy.

“I worry about the capability and the capacity to win in a major fight somewhere else right now,” he said, citing a lack of training and equipment.

Paxton, along with the vice chiefs of the Army, Navy and Air Force, spoke to the Senate committee on the readiness challenges facing each service after 15 years of war and recent budget cuts.

Communication, intelligence and aviation units are the hardest hit, Paxton said.

Rest at------------> http://www.stripes.com/news/marine-...e-might-not-be-ready-for-another-war-1.399376

AMDR, Pathfinder and Atilla like this.
  2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

If the US isn't ready for a war then who is? I don't understand why we always have a crisis when there is nothing to make a crisis over. I can agree with the general that our training and equipment may not be ideal for a "major fight", I presume he is talking about Russia or China. We are in a COIN posture but transitioning over to a conventional posture for training and equipment would not be very difficult. I can tell you what, Russia and China are thinking that they are not prepared to deal with the US.

3. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Remember, after WW1 ended, armies prepares themselves for the.next, expecting that it would be similar - being a trench warfare.

But when WW2 broke out, it was a completely different war.

What I am saying is that not all armies are fully prepared to fight the next war because the next war may be different from the one that is expected.

But during wars, experience can be gained that could help minimize casualties.

Falcon likes this.
  4. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

I think our guys are right saying that we are not ready for the next war or major conflict. We are not in the 90's anymore where we are the sole super power. In the 90's Russia was in a rut and China didn't have any serious military capabilities or the ability to project power. Now they can. Russia is also projecting power. They were successful in Georgia, Crimea, and now in Syria. Our leaders didn't take the rise of these power seriously, not only us but Russia and China's neighbors haven't either. Eastern european countries are completely un prepared for an act of Russian aggression. The pacific nations are not prepared for a Chinese use of military force. They don't have the appropriate military capabilities and diplomatic relations to deal with China. We don't have the capability to deal with China without taking massive losses. Until our distributed lethality strategy is further developed a war with China could become a disaster.

Cossack25A1 likes this.
Tags: