Marines not getting new gear fast enough

Discussion in 'U.S. Marine Corps' started by Pathfinder, May 16, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Top Marine general: Troops Aren't Getting New Gear Fast Enough

Marines' worn-out equipment is not being replaced quickly enough, Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. Robert Neller said Monday, calling the Pentagon's process for fielding new gear "too slow."

New technology takes so long to test and evaluate that it can be obsolete by the time it actually hits the fleet, Neller said at the Navy League’s Sea-Air-Space exposition outside Washington, D.C.

“As a customer, it just seems to be too slow," Neller said. "There may be good reasons for that, but we’ve got to go faster because we’re behind in many areas and we’ve got to get this new stuff in the hands of those that we have an obligation to support and make sure that they’re successful in whatever mission we give them.”

The Defense Department’s acquisition system is governed by rules that are a major obstacle to getting the latest and best weaponry into Marines’ hands quickly, he said. He acknowledged that fair competition and the ability for companies to protest decisions is important, but he said the process must ensure Marines and other service members have what they need when they need it.

“We’ve got an obligation to those men and women in our service to give them new gear as soon as we can because the gear that we have has been run really hard for the last 15 years,” he said.
    http://www.defensenews.com/story/de...-arent-getting-new-gear-fast-enough/84455718/

We have do we have problem with acquisition. We spend so much time and money developing things then we end of cancelling them just start another program. When the program is done it takes forever to field the newly developed equipment. We still don't have are autonomous "robots" in use as planned. I was watching an older history channel documentary the other day and they were talking about a really advanced autonomous war fighting system that is made up of autonomous ground vehicle, and drones. They said that it was going to implemented Army wide by 2014. Its 2016 and I haven't seen anything close to what they were talking about.

Falcon likes this.
  2. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

I saw that program too, it was on modern marvels. I shared your reaction. |Eggonface|

This is a little ironic coming from the Marines, they have the F-35 in service and operated the osprey early.

Pathfinder likes this.