New National Security Advisor, General McMaster

Discussion in 'U.S. Strategic Affairs' started by Pathfinder, Feb 20, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

President Trump Names Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster New National Security Adviser

C5JK3KNUEAEzGu-.jpg-large.jpg

McMaster, 54, is a three-star Army general known for being a military intellectual. A West Point graduate who earned a doctorate in history from the University of North Carolina, he wrote his dissertation based on newly declassified documents from the Vietnam War. The dissertation became a 1997 book — Dereliction of Duty: Johnson, McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam.

In a New Yorker article about the Iraq War in 2006, George Packer wrote that McMaster pushed for a "more imaginative and coherent response to an insurgency that he believed was made up of highly decentralized groups with different agendas making short-term alliances of convenience."

McMaster is credited with demonstrating how a different strategy could work to defeat insurgents in Iraq, and is known for having been critical of the George W. Bush administration's handling of the war.

During the first Iraq War, McMaster was awarded a Silver Star for heroism while fighting in a tank battle with Iraqi troops known as "73 Easting," in February of 1991.

Two parts of his past will surely return to him as national security adviser.

During the second Iraq War, he was key in applying counter-insurgency tactics and pacifying the city of Tal Afar, a city later taken over by ISIS, a foe McMaster will have to help devise a new strategy to defeat. In 2010, he was deployed to run anti-corruption efforts in Afghanistan, another issue that persists. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, who was recently in Kabul, Afghanistan, noted government corruptionamong the region's challenges.

More: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...en-h-r-mcmaster-new-national-security-adviser

Falcon likes this.
  2. Falcon

Falcon Lieutenant Colonel Staff Member Social Media Team

I heard that Trump wanted Mike Flynn to wear his military uniform but Flynn said that he couldn't because he was retired. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump got rid of Flynn because of that. Trump wants to create an image for himself and a general tagging along is part of that image.

3. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    My congratulations to Mr. Mc.Master, I hope, he will not advertise his links with Russian Intelligence as Mr. Flinn, who like tobtalk in bad groups.

Falcon likes this.
  4. Falcon

Falcon Lieutenant Colonel Staff Member Social Media Team

LOL :banging table:

I thin McMaster will do a good job, today the main threat we are directly engaged with is ISIS, he fought their predecessors in Iraq. But there are also a multitude of strategic threats in the South China Sea and the Baltics.