Norway creates new Army unit on border to Russia

Discussion in 'Europe' started by AMDR, Jun 20, 2016.

Share This Page

1. AMDR

AMDR Captain Staff Member Administrator

Student
    Norway creates new Army unit on border to Russia

By
    Thomas Nilsen

“Norway is NATO in the north,” says Parliament member Frank Bakke-Jensen to the Barents Observer. Representing the Conservative Party in Norway’s collision government he presented the news to place a new Ranger Company with the Garrison of Sør-Varanger.

Anti-armor weapons can stop tanks and light anti-aircraft weapons can take down helicopters.

“You will think twice before crossing the border when you know there are such weapons in place,” explains Frank Bakke-Jensen.

More here: http://thebarentsobserver.com/security/2016/06/norway-creates-new-army-unit-border-russia

Pathfinder and Vergennes like this.
  2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

I think we may have discussed this in another thread but the region where Norway borders Russia is very mountainous-hilly and obviously cold. Moving armor through there will be difficult especially since there are not a huge amount of roads up there so cutting off access to Russian armor is not that difficult of a feat. Norway would need to worry about Russian infantry and air superiority but I think Norway could hold off long enough for other NATO units to arrive and help out.

3. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Very mountainous (though central Finnmark, the Northern most country and one that borders Russia is less mountainous in its central parts). Even in parts separated by the river of Pasvikelva, which forms a 66 mile border between the two nations, the opposite side is equally mountainous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a Russian border post as seen from Norway. Their side is also very mountainous.

[​IMG]

In places all you get are marker warnings. The Norwegian side is demarcated by a yellow marker, and the Russian side in red.

[​IMG]

Infantry is important and on the Arctic circle winter gear is a must.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But having additional boats isn't something to be neglected either.

[​IMG]

I don't really have any other insight to offer:D. You cover the important points. Armor isn't a likelihood because of the terrain and artillery doesn't have many targets either as Finnmark, even my the military, isn't too populous, but Russian air-power and amphibious infantry could be a problem.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    AMDR likes this.