Norway interested in 5-6 Boeing P-8 maritime spy planes-U.S. Navy

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Blue Marlin, Jul 11, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Blue Marlin

Blue Marlin 2nd Lieutenant

Norway interested in 5-6 Boeing P-8 maritime spy planes-U.S. Navy
    [​IMG]

FARNBOROUGH, England, July 11 (Reuters) - Norway has expressed interest in buying five to six Boeing Co P-8 maritime surveillance planes, a senior U.S. Navy official said on Monday.

Rear Admiral Dean Peters, program executive officer for anti-submarine warfare, assault and special missions programs, said the Navy had asked potential P-8 buyers to express their interest by next summer.

The P-8 is entering its last three years of production, so international partners would need to place orders relatively soon to get in on the program before production halts.

"People are showing their interest in the plane," Peters told Reuters.

In addition to a 3 billion pound ($3.9 billion) order announced by Britain on Monday, Boeing is also building P-8 planes for Australia, and will deliver that country's first plane in September.

Leanne Caret, president of Boeing Defense, Space & Security, said the order reflected strong and growing interest in the P-8A aircraft. Boeing had lowered the cost of the plane by 30 percent in recent years, and saw a potential market of 100 aircraft that needed to be replaced or modernised in coming years.

"We have a unique position to take advantage of the economies of scale that only Boeing can provide," she told Reuters in an interview.

Peters said there was also growing interest in countries joining forces to train for, operate and maintain the planes, which could play a role if Norway decided to procure the planes.

"The synergies you get from operating the same equipment can't be overestimated," Peters said.

He said Norway, which is also buying the F-35 fighter jet, was keen to expand its military cooperation with the United States.

[​IMG]

2. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Good choice. Apart from the Japanese P-1, there's no alternative.

We've a fair number of P-3s that need to go and are reaching the end of their lifespan, I can't think of a better option then the P-8. They'll need to be winterized, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*I've got a lot of pics of the P-3N if anyone's interested.

AMDR, Pathfinder, Vergennes and 2 others like this.
  3. Blue Marlin

p3's are solid birds theres plenty of spares out there for them and i say norwegian p3's would have a good 15 year left in them easily.

i think its early stages before we see p8's in norwegian soil/snow.

4. Freyja

Freyja 2nd Lieutenant

1/2 Gaming 1/2 Baking
    Hobby:
    Video Games
    I'm not sure about the extent of their life span. We've 6 P-3s total, 4 P-3C and 2 P-3N, all of which have seen extensive usage in places like North and East Africa assisting in counter piracy and migrant operations.

A vast coastline, unforgiving terrain and climate, extensive usage in Africa and the North Atlantic including rotations in Iceland, I don't think they've that much life left in them.

In fact, we used to have 11, but 5 were modernized and sold to Spain as the P-3M.

[​IMG]

I think buying the P-8 isn't just about its capabilities as an upgrade over the P-3, it's also about our P-3s becoming harder and more expensive to service. We've also had this problem with our C-130s.

5. Blue Marlin

so you've been using them extensivly then. i never knew norway sends them down south towards the mediterranean im guessing they are delpoyed toward the gulf of gulf of aqaba too for them damn priates too. well i guess p3 dont like being used too much in sub zero temratures and the hot and humid temratures. the italians are also interesting in the p8 whilst the atr 72 is an intern for now and newzealand too well the entire p3 market will look to the p8 for a replacement

Pathfinder likes this.
  6. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Norway's acquisition of the P-8 shows that reports on the increased Russian Submarine activity near NATO countries is actually serious to get someone to spend money on the problem.

7. Freyja

Freyja 2nd Lieutenant

1/2 Gaming 1/2 Baking
    Hobby:
    Video Games
    The P-8 and a new submarine class to replace our aging Ula, which consequentially, will be based on the Ula's hull and be the same dimensions and design, but with modern computers, and a few other goodies within.

Both ThyssenKrupp Marine and DCNS are in the running for the bid, having beaten out other European suppliers like Sweden's SAABKockums with its A26.

The new design should be externally similar to the existing Ula, being based on the hull design, and which are considered to be the quietest and smallest of Europe's designs, so the new vessels should be among (if not the) quietest subs in the world.

[​IMG]

The acquisition of P-8s represents a major increase in our capabilities versus the P-3C and N, but it also makes sense when you consider that like the US and Australia, we've a fairly large amount of space to cover and monitor:

[​IMG]

The Norwegian coast, the world's seventh largest, waters between the Norwegian mainland and Svalbard and Jan Mayen Islands, deployments to Iceland and even Antarctic territories, we need an aircraft with a lot of endurance and a lot of capabilities to monitor all of our concerns.

Blue Marlin likes this.
  8. Blue Marlin

so im guessing your going for the type 210 mod then
    [​IMG]
    https://www.thyssenkrupp-marinesystems.com/en/hdw-class-210mod.html

i would have imagined you'd would have gone for the type 218 like singapore but it turns out germany is looking after you guys and giving you a custom sub of fear of losing you to the french or the swedes. what of the a26? i would have thought at first you would have gone for that providing the swedes are in the same neighbourhood as you guys and face the same threat.
    i guess not....
    [​IMG]

Freyja likes this.
  9. Freyja

Freyja 2nd Lieutenant

1/2 Gaming 1/2 Baking
    Hobby:
    Video Games
    Yup, the 210 mod is likely the direction we're going. It's dimensions are nearly identical to the existing Ulas, being only a few inches or feet longer in some areas, and its sail has been redesigned, but it retains the overall shape and x-shaped tail planes. Most of the "goodies" that the new subs has will be internal instead.

It's been looked into, and we've cooperated with Sweden on some projects like the Archer, but don't tend to be too cooperative. We favor American designs generally for the majority of our defense needs.

That said, the A26, while a bit larger then we need, is a stellar choice too, especially as an upgrade over the Gotland Class, which itself was a very deadly submarine:

[​IMG]

If we went the A26 route, we'd need certain systems within it though, and that's why ThyseenKrupp's proposal is so enticing. They're offering to meet our requirements and work with us to design a new submarine for our needs and based on our desires, not offering a submarine that's already designed.

Blue Marlin likes this.
  10. Blue Marlin

so it looks like the type 210mod is going to norway. do you think it would be alike for like replacement (6subs) or would they order more to meet growing threats like austrailia with the shortfin?

Freyja likes this.
Tags: