Norwegian Military Close to Bankruptcy, Orders Personnel to Turn In Pistols To Save Money

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Vergennes, Feb 26, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Vergennes

Vergennes Captain Staff Member Ret. Military International Mod

@Technofox What's Norway's military budget ? Is it planned to increase ?
    Seems like the F35 is destroying every European armies's budgets. :D
    -
    [​IMG]

It seems the Norwegian military is in financial trouble! The Norwegian Ministry of Defense has issued a statement saying that they will no longer be able to equip officers and other personnel with both a rifle and pistol, and therefore pistols issued to such personnel should be turned in immediately. According to an article in AftenPosten,

Rest --------------> http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...tcy-orders-personnel-turn-pistols-save-money/

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    AMDR, Pathfinder and Technofox like this.
  2. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    6 billion USD for 2016. In 2015, an increase of 526 Million USD was approved, representing a whooping 9.8 percent spending increase over the 2015 military budget:

Norway’s defense spending will climb by 9.8 percent to $6 billion in 2016 because of fears prompted by Russia’s actions in the Arctic region and Europe, Defense News reported Friday. The extra $526 million will increase the Nordic nation’s defense spending to 1.54 percent of its gross domestic product.

There was no mention in Norway’s new budget of the outlooks for defense spending in the short or long terms. In the 2016 budget, however, $1.5 billion would be destined for equipment purchases, while more than $390 million would be earmarked for infrastructure projects. Key aspects of the budget centered on the deployment of submarines, the purchase of F-35 aircraft and the strengthening of intelligence capabilities.

The Firearm Blog link is dead, but the original article:

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/i...-til-a-levere-inn-pistolene-sine-8325431.html

Doesn't say the Army is bankrupt|Rage|!!! It does say that as a temporary cost saving measure, non-emergency units will be required to turn-in their side arms. Emergency exceptions include QRFs, Special Ops and units deployed or being deployed overseas.

However, that article was posted on 22 January 2016, one month before a 9.8 percent budget increase was effected, so it doesn't include or mention the extra money being funneled into the Army.

But the order seems to have been put into effect, considering neither Army units or HV groups have been packing pistols in recent exercises:

Rifles? Check. Pistols? Ehhhh... not so much:confused:.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They still bring them out during training though, as noted with the HV-05 troops:
    [​IMG]

These photos are from exercises this year (2016), so they would be effected by any cost-save orders issued.

Despite the overall increase, some cost saving measures have been enacted including a scaling back of the manpower size of the Home Guard and reducing the number of non-essential infrastructure and military bases.

When one rises, another must fall to maintain balance. It happens.

AMDR, Vergennes and Pathfinder like this.
  3. Vergennes

@Technofox Who needs rusty pistols when you can have an 416N. |Cat|

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AMDR, Pathfinder and Technofox like this.
  4. Technofox

Hobby:
    Being a geek

[​IMG]

Oh, right. Money problems:D. Pistols have their use, mainly as first-in weapons for breaching team.

First in? Pistol drawn. The second and third man in aren't going in with pistols drawn, though.
    [​IMG]

Or by wounded soldiers awaiting Evac. This I did see as part of an SAR unit.
    [​IMG]

But you just don't seem them drawn a lot, especially not since the MP7 was inducted into the Norwegian Army.
    [​IMG]

Like the MP5, the MP7 continues a trend of taking pistol functionality away from infantry men of women.

Still, I'd rather have one and not need it, then need one and not have it. But with nothing major going on right now in Norway itself, and this order not effecting troops in Afghanistan, police units or QRFs and rapid response teams, I suppose not having a pistol isn't too bad right? MP5s, HK416N, MP7, they'll be able to handle anything that would occur on Norwegian soil with or without a pistol.

I never was issued a pistol, but I learned to fire one. Interestingly, we don't use shotguns at all in our military:eek:.

AMDR, Vergennes and Pathfinder like this.
  5. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Sometimes firearm types blogs can have incorrect information that comes from unknown sources whose opinions match with those who see the world in a very pessimistic and apocalyptic manner. Examples include rumors that the US government was buying up ammunition so that they could dry up the civilian market, this idea came about after the Sandy Hook Massacre.

The story on Norway story fits into the general idea that the world especially Europe is collapsing, the collapse is so bad that they can't afford side arms for their soldiers.

Technofox and Vergennes like this.
  6. Vergennes

This reminded me of this : (Sorry I couldn't resist.)

nrd.jpg

Cutting military was justified as the main threat (USSR) disappeared,but as the threats have increased (From Russia to terrorist groups),there's no excuse to reduce the armies budgets in Europe. In fact the economic crisis,just worsen the things.
    The point is also "Why should we spend money when the US is here" ?

Pathfinder and Technofox like this.
  7. Technofox

Hobby:
    Being a geek
    I wouldn't say it's incorrect, rather the Firearm Blog info is just a bit hyperbolized. The article it cites, this one:

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/i...-til-a-levere-inn-pistolene-sine-8325431.html

Is quoting Lieutenant Colonel Aleksander Jankov, who is the Norwegian Army spokesman, so that's about as official a confirmation as one could get that this order is real.

The very first thing Jankov says in the article is," We do not think this is something all right. But we have to implement the measure, for economic reasons." He goes on say that no one is sure how much money this measure will save:confused:

The article certainly does play into the notion that Europe is declining and the US should bolster its force there to compensate, which I'm sure many low-spending European nations would be happy to play up too, especially NATO members facing a more immediate Russian threat or those not spending close to 2% of GPD, but from my perspective it's just poorly translated and not inaccurate.

Russia is a pest to much of NATO, especially in the Baltics, but honestly, we've never thought of them that way and here's why.

This is our border with Russia. Mountainous and watery. Not exactly prime space for Russian tank, artillery or mechanized forces to assault... which is Russia's bread and butter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An infantry assault would be a problem, sort of, but I wish the Russians good luck attacking with mechanized forces. Also, the border is here:

[​IMG]

Pretty far from any population centers like Oslo, though Hammerfest is close enough, but more vulnerable to a naval assault. But even a para-assault by airborne Russian forces has a long-way to go only to land here:

[​IMG]

Hammerfest isn't exactly a strategic target. And even as a staging base for further assaults south into Norway... well, the entire North of Norway is one big mountain, so again, good luck Russia.

Our threat doesn't come from the Russian Army, or even its Air Force since Finland and Sweden offer natural buffers against the Russian Air Force. Our main concern is their navy and this is why our shared border is nothing more then a few observation posts on either side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yup, that's the Russian side over there. "Hello Russia!"

[​IMG]

Not a lot of action over there either.

Vergennes and Pathfinder like this.
Tags: