Obama ‘proud’ not to bomb Syrian regime

Discussion in 'U.S. Strategic Affairs' started by T-123456, Mar 11, 2016.

Share This Page

1. T-123456

T-123456 Captain Staff Member International Mod

upload_2016-3-12_0-25-45.png
    President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama greet Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Sophie Gregoire Trudeau at the North Portico of the White House in Washington, Thursday, March 10, 2016, for a state dinner. AP Photo

In an interview published by the Atlantic magazine on March 10, Obama described his decision to step back from planned military strikes, which would have changed the course of Syria’s brutal five-year-old civil war.

“I’m very proud of this moment,” Obama said.

“The overwhelming weight of conventional wisdom and the machinery of our national-security apparatus had gone fairly far,” Obama was quoted as saying.

“The perception was that my credibility was at stake, that America’s credibility was at stake. And so for me to press the pause button at that moment, I knew, would cost me politically.”
    Read more,
    http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/ob...egime.aspx?pageID=238&nID=96355&NewsCatID=358

Pathfinder likes this.
  2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

The think tanks in DC and other intellectuals are the ones that give our leaders policy advise, I talked to a professor the other day from a prestigious university and he said that he advised a top official whose name I don't want to reveal. I asked about the effect of think tanks and he said that they give policy advise to the big fish. Presidents don't have time to think about these issues in details, they just do what their advisors recommend because they simply don't have the time and experience to make complex foreign policy decisions.