Opinion sought about honoring a vet

Discussion in 'U.S. Army' started by morrisonvp, Aug 31, 2016.

Share This Page

1. morrisonvp

morrisonvp Officer Candidate

Hello everyone-

I am new to this forum and would like to get some input from current and former members of the military about something I would like to do. Here's the situation: My grandfather was an 82nd Airborne Pathfinder (505 PIR) during World War II. He had combat jumps into Sicily, Italy, Normandy and Holland. He was shot the day after his jump into Holland and was left with a semi-paralyzed leg for the rest of his life. My grandfather was a great man for many reasons, not the least of which is his service during the war. As another WWII veteran of the 82nd Airborne once told me, "Airborne was special, and the Pathfinders were special among the special." I have no doubt he was right.

Since my grandfather's death in 2007, I have wanted to honor his memory by getting a tattoo of the 82nd Airborne patch on my arm just like the one he wore on his uniform. However, I myself have not served in the military, and the last thing I want to do is give anyone the impression that I'm trying to pass myself off as a veteran of the 82nd. I have nothing but the highest respect for all veterans, and I don't want to offend anyone who has served. I absolutely have no tolerance for "stolen valor."

My question to you is this: Would getting this tattoo to honor my grandfather be wrong and/or offensive to veterans? If so, I definitely will not do it.

Thank you in advance for your input, and thank you for your service to our country.

-Ken M.