Oyster Bay Naval Base Development

Discussion in 'East Asia & The Pacific' started by Cossack25A1, Feb 18, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Naval base on Palawan’s Oyster Bay being developed

By: Redempto D. Anda

@inquirerdotnet

Inquirer Southern Luzon

12:37 AM January 18th, 2016

PUERTO PRINCESA CITY—If there are efforts to develop a new military base in Palawan that can host US troops, no confirmation is coming from local military and civilian officials here.

But the development of an existing naval facility located on Oyster Bay, acknowledged to be the most suitable to host US troops, is quietly going on, aimed at what Philippine Navy officials have described as creating a “mini Subic” in Palawan.

Subic is a former US naval base in Zambales province. It was shuttered together with Clark Air Base in Pampanga province in 1992 after the Senate voted to terminate the US-Philippine Military Bases Agreement.

Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/13...wans-oyster-bay-being-developed#ixzz40VzEd5X6

-----

I am okay if the US Navy goes there, but I will NOT agree in the idea the JMSDF going there.

AMDR, Falcon and Atilla like this.
  2. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

Is this a joint base with Japan? Where did you see that it could be shared or they could go there?

3. Cossack25A1

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    AMDR, Falcon, Admin and 2 others like this.
  4. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

Oops. |Wacky|

On one side you are right because of what happened in WW2 but on the other side allowing them to do port calls would not be a bad idea considering the ongoing tensions in the region. The Philippines has a very important strategic location and would be critical for Japanese in the SCS.

southeast_asia_pol_2003.jpg

IHS Jane’s also reported that the project development program report describes a facility that will eventually have a secure helipad, an amphibious jungle warfare training center in the surrounding area, a coast watch radar station and communications center on the hills overlooking the site, a network of armed outposts and monitoring systems, and potentially an area forward joint operations center for visiting “security and treaty” partners of the Philippines. More specific details are still publicly unavailable as many of these plans remain classified.

Once completed, Philippine officials had previously indicated that the base would be able to hold a few large naval vessels, including a few U.S. ones as well. And as I noted in my previous piece, beyond the infrastructure mentioned, military officials have also stressed that possessing a base so close to the South China Sea would enable the armed forces of the Philippines to drastically shorten the travel time of its vessels and minimize fuel and other logistical costs, as well as boost the morale of troops stationed nearby.

http://thediplomat.com/2015/06/philippines-moves-toward-new-naval-base-near-the-south-china-sea/

5. Cossack25A1

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    It is not actually about WW2, but what if certain JMSDF personnel/officer is a stooge for Mainland China? We Filipinos cannot risk of having such personnel in a naval base facility here in the Philippines.

Pathfinder likes this.
  6. T-123456

T-123456 Captain Staff Member International Mod

Could you explain what you mean by that,how can a JSDF member be a stooge of China?
    I dont get it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  7. Cossack25A1

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Well, one member here who is very active in the other forum had a 180 degree sudden change that at present, I don't know if I could believe him or not anymore. Since he said he currently serves in JSDF, he might have been snooping for information.

AMDR, Technofox and T-123456 like this.
  8. T-123456

T-123456 Captain Staff Member International Mod

I know who you mean,maybe you have seen my comment on his 180 degree turn.
    Believe me no member of the JSDF will ever be a stooge of China.

Cossack25A1 likes this.