Philippines' Nuclear Ambitions

Discussion in 'East Asia & The Pacific' started by Cossack25A1, Feb 15, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    PH planned to produce nuclear weapon – Enrile
    by Ben Rosario
    February 14, 2016

Senate Minority Leader Juan Ponce Enrile yesterday disclosed for the first time that production of a nuclear weapon for the Philippines was among the objectives of the construction of the now mothballed Bataan Nuclear Power Plant (BNPP).

More -> http://www.mb.com.ph/ph-planned-to-produce-nuclear-weapon-enrile/

-----

Would America snctioned us in the 1980s/1990s if this was pushed through?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    AMDR, Falcon and Pathfinder like this.
  2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Thanks for sharing, I never heard about the Philippine nuclear program. I would not even think about googling it.

I think nuclear weapons do definitely level the playing the field when dealing with other nuclear powers because you guarantee that they will not nuke you. However in order to have an effective nuclear deterrent you need to have effective delivery capabilities. This would be in the form of ballistic missiles or long range bombers in the Philippines case because of geographic distance.

Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 9.30.53 AM.jpg

According to this blog the Philippines had a ballistic missile program in the 1970's:

"Several reports surfaced (some maybe viewed as sarcastic) that after the successful EDSA People Power Revolution that ousted dictator Marcos, some of defense programs have reformed and others are cancelled. But there's a program that have been continued with the help of US, the Santa Barbara Project. In Marcos era, there are some test that have been made. With US help, Philippines developed a ballistic missile. The project continued with a silo-based anti-ship ballistic missile variant. It is deployed in a silo in unpopulated place in Philippines. The missile said have capabilities of hitting the target with a high speed, Mach 8-10. Photographs of new ballistic missile were not publicly released due to the sensitivity of the project. Satellite will not be able to take any pictures of it because of the technology of "Satellite Camo" or some called it "Cloak Technology". While the Sta. Barbara is not yet seen, it still be a secret deterrent that when an aggressor threaten Philippine sovereignty and peace it will be used against them."

This site is saying that the Santa Barbara project included the development of a wide variety of missiles including SAM's and Ballistic Missiles. It was however cancelled due to nuclear concerns. According to the site the project has been reactivated and is continuing with Israel's Rafael.

Would the US have sanctioned the Philippines because of a nuclear program? I can't say. Our bases are important so probably not but if we did and if whatever government was there at the time tried to close our bases there would probably end up being some kind of revolution to depose the leader, thats how things work.

AMDR and Falcon like this.
  3. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    While the 1973 Yom Kippur War and its global effects on oil production provided the basis for the building of the old Bataan nuclear power plant, but I never imagined that the Marcos regime actually went that far - attempting to acquire nuclear weapons.

Then there is the "Santa Barbara project" that aims to make the Philippines "self-sufficient" in terms of defense by developing our tballistic missile. Combine together and it seems the aim is to make the Philippines well-armed in terms of national defense.

One probable reason is the aftermath of the Vietnam War and the failure of SEATO, where fear of Communism would spread in Southeast Asia, whether that Communism is Soviet-brand or Chinese brand.

Anyways, I doubt Santa Barbara Project would be reactivated (at best, it would be start from scratch) because one reason - President Benigno Aquino III. He, like his mother, will not use any project that was started by the old Marcos regime. That is how Philippine politics works.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    AMDR, Pathfinder and Falcon like this.