Poland Foreign Minister: Russia Is More Dangerous Than ISIS

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Patriot1776, Apr 18, 2016.

?

Will Russia Stop Being So Provocative In Regards to Europe?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Share This Page

1. Patriot1776

Patriot1776 2nd Lieutenant

Russia is more dangerous than the Islamic State group, Poland's Foreign Minister Witold Waszczykowski told reporters Friday during a visit to Slovakia.

"By all evidence, Russia's activity is a sort of existential threat because this activity can destroy countries," said Waszczykowski, who was speaking in a debate on the future of NATO at the annual Globsec security forum in Bratislava. He described the Islamic State group as a very serious threat but added that "it is not an existential threat for Europe".

Additionally Czech Defence Minister Martin Stropnicky said at the conference that strengthening the alliance's collective defense capability would be the main point on the agenda at the summer summit, while warning that Russia "should not be isolated".

With all this tension between Europe and Russia can they be defused? What does Russia exactly want?

http://www.defensenews.com/story/de...s-than-says-poland-foreign-minister/83120564/

2. Sven

Sven Teh Viking dood Industry Professional Ret. Military

Military Research
    Hobby:
    Computer stuff
    To Poland? Yes, they haven't had an issue with ISIS at this point. Russia on the other hand is a belligerent towards them.

But for France or Belgium? No, Russia may be a pest, but to be honest, and @Technofox and @Gabriel92 can attest to this too, Russia doesn't concern Western Europe all that much, even when it pokes or prods them. Much like Russian bomber flights near Alaska, it's just an annoyance, but not threatening.

ISIS on the other hand is a real concern for France and Belgium, which have had problems with the group and other radical elements.

[​IMG]

Make no mistake, there's a reason French soldiers and special police forces are patrolling and its not because of Russia.

I understand where Poland's coming from, but the context must be establish and we need to understand the each European nation's situation or experience with both is different. No two in Europe have the same threat profile.

That said, I answered no to the poll question because Russia is still being a belligerent too. ISIS concerns France more then Russia does. Poland is more concerned about Russian then ISIS, but both France and Poland are concerned about both, just not in equal amounts.

3. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    I echo this. I'm not concerned about either Russia or ISIS, I'm statistically more likely to be killed by a Polar Bear.

[​IMG]

Which only live in Svalbard, Norway - In green. I live in the red part.

1024px-Europe-Svalbard.svg.png

Then I am by either the Russians or ISIS. But sharing a land border and sea border with Russia, we are still concerned about them and their Crimea/Ukraine type actions. We don't have an opposed Russian minority for them to rescue.

[​IMG]

But I doubt that'd persuade them from not taking actions to annex part of our territory. ISIS is a threat to Europe for sure, but not really to Norway, at least not until an attack happens. But Russia's actions in the Arctic, as well as on the other side of our shared border.

[​IMG]

Makes us concerned, but not overly so. Russia is an irritant, not a threat. If I lived in Estonia, Finland or another nation with a larger border with Russia I'd probably feel more strongly.

Vergennes, Atilla and Falcon like this.
  4. Falcon

Falcon Lieutenant Colonel Staff Member Social Media Team

Both entities are a threat. Russia costs more to handle but ISIL has been killing people not only in the West but around the world.

Where do u findings the Poland Balls? You will make more sharings, yes?

5. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    I make some, I take some, but I'll share more yes.

Does this accurately explain why we are concerned about Russia? Even when they are being nice, they are being bad to Europe.

[​IMG]

Pathfinder, Atilla and Falcon like this.
  6. Vergennes

Vergennes Captain Staff Member Ret. Military International Mod

Nobody sees Russia as a major threat,the top priority is fighting terrorist groups,whether it's on our soil,in Africa or in the levant.
    The poles are just asking for more NATO troops to be deployed on their soil,nothing more.
    Is Russia going to unleash their tanks against us ? USSR at its peak didn't dare to do it,and today weakened Russia would do it ?
    A part from sending once bombers NEAR (not in) our airspace and submarines NEAR (not in) our waters,this isn't really "threatening us".

Pathfinder likes this.
  7. Bob Hunter 45

Bob Hunter 45 2nd Lieutenant

Cowardice of Europe will have a bad end.