research for a science fiction novel

Discussion in 'U.S. Navy' started by Sebastian733, May 3, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Sebastian733

Sebastian733 Officer Candidate

Hello, I am a Belgian who is doing research for a Sience-fiction novel. My space fleet is based on the U.S NAVY model. Could you tell me that they are the ranks of the pilots who compose a squadron. The rank of squadron leader and other pilots. Thank you in advance.

YarS likes this.
  2. Dook

Dook 2nd Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Technology
    The US Navy officer ranks are Ensign, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Lieutenant, Lieutenant Commander, Commander, Captain, then the four Admiral ranks.

There is also a Warrant Officer rank but I have never seen one be a pilot in the US Navy. The US Army has Warrant Officers that fly helicopters though.

US Navy pilots can be any officer rank. They leave the academy as Ensigns and go to flight school and generally promote to Lieutenant Junior Grade in flight school. Flight school is basic aviation. After flight school they report to their squadron and begin learning that specific aircraft.

Generally all officers in a US Navy aircraft squadron are pilots except a few, one might be a junior maintenance officer and the other might be a flight doctor for the squadron.

Every squadron has an executive officer, usually a Commander, and a Commanding officer who is also a Commander. Both of them fly.

Sometimes Captains might be in a flying status but be assigned to a different unit and they will come over and fly just to stay qualified and keep their flight pay. I have never seen an admiral as a pilot but I have heard that in the past some were.

ADDED: Sometimes enlisted will call a lieutenant "LT" pronounced (el tee) and commanding officers can also be called "Skipper," because the captain of a ship is known as a skipper.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Sebastian733 and YarS like this.
  3. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    Hello. May be, you will be interested in the another interesting discussion:
    http://www.americanmilitaryforum.com/forums/threads/future-battlefields-belgium-2022.1653/

4. Sebastian733

Sebastian733 Officer Candidate

thank you for your answers