Russia Violates Turkish Airspace Again

Discussion in 'The Middle East & North Africa' started by Atilla, Jan 30, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Atilla

Atilla Major

No: 33, 30 January 2016, Press Release Regarding the Violation of Turkish airspace on 29 January 2016 by a RF aircraft

Yesterday (29 January 2016) at 11.46 hours local time, a SU-34 type Russian aircraft violated Turkish airspace.

Before the violation actually took place, Russian plane was warned numerous times by Turkish air radar units, (through appropriate channels) both in English and Russian languages.

Despite several previous explicit staments of warnings by both Turkey and NATO, this new violation is yet another concrete example of Russian escalatory behavior.

We once again explicitly call on Russia, to act responsibly and not to violate Turkish Airspace, which is NATO airspace. We underline that such actions could lead to serious consequences, the responsibility of which will totally rest with the Russian Federation.

Russian Ambassador to Ankara has been summoned to the MFA yesterday evening. At the meeting we strongly protested and condemned this violation and reiterated, once again, aforementioned concerns as to the gravity of such violations.

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/no_-33_-30-ja...ce-on-29-january-2016-by-a-rf-aircraft.en.mfa

http://www.milliyet.com.tr/disisleri-bakanligi-ndan-flas-gundem-2186851/

AMDR and Falcon like this.
  2. Atilla

Atilla Major

Heavy Russian propaganda against Turkey with Santa clause shot down images on Twitter. Also saying that Turkey violates Greek Air Space, we already clarified this issue here: https://www.americanmilitaryforum.c...key-greece-airspace-violations-explained.402/

Chance of war looks high or some kind of reaction from Russia if we shoot down another Jet. They are pushing us on purpose. If they can attack Turkey and get no joint NATO reaction then they accomplished a major goal, they prove that NATO is not a serious alliance.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    AMDR and Falcon like this.
  3. T-123456

T-123456 Captain Staff Member International Mod

We have warned them again with a witness(NATO) this time,we should shoot the next one down again,its time to do some cleanup in Syria.

4. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

Statement by the NATO Secretary General on Russian air space violation

A Russian combat aircraft violated Turkish airspace yesterday, despite repeated warnings by the Turkish authorities. Previous incidents have shown how dangerous such behaviour is.

I call on Russia to act responsibly and to fully respect NATO airspace. Russia must take all necessary measures to ensure that such violations do not happen again.

I welcome the direct contacts between Ankara and Moscow, and I call for calm and de-escalation.

NATO stands in solidarity with Turkey and supports the territorial integrity of our Ally, Turkey.

Allies agreed in December to increase the presence of AWACS early warning aircraft over Turkey, as we continue to augment Turkey’s air defences. This decision precedes yesterday’s incident.

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/news_127562.htm
    I don't know what the Russians are trying to achieve here, do they want to show Turkey as a weak player in Syria before the Geneva talks? Do they want to purposefully provoke Turkey to make it look like an irrational player?

AMDR likes this.
  5. T-123456

Plus,they want to see the reaction of NATO,i found it a lame statement from the secretary general.
    Russia is warned now and wont make any other mistake,no more fun i guess.

Atilla likes this.
  6. AMDR

AMDR Captain Staff Member Administrator

Student
    The Russians are pushing their luck with this nonsense. They can't afford to start a war with Turkey and NATO, they are to isolated there in Syria and their economy is contracting as it is.

The US has your back, because we cannot afford to not have your back on this. Imagine what our allies in the Pacific would think if we didn't defend a key member of a supposed "unbreakable" alliance when we are obligated by treaty to. It would be the worst foreign policy disaster in US history if we failed to live up to our NATO obligations, specifically and most important of all Article 5. Nobody would trust the US again on any kind of defensive treaty ever again.

Some other NATO members, however, are another discussion entirely. Support for a war, even a war they did not start, is very low at the moment.

Atilla, T-123456 and Falcon like this.
  7. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

Patriot1776 and Atilla like this.
  8. T-123456

I have my doubts about that,the shady nuclear deal with iran and the passive attitude in Syria makes me think twice before trusting,you would actually have our backs.
    Remember the ''red lines''?
    What would you think if you were a Turk?

AMDR and Atilla like this.
  9. Atilla

Atilla Major

This the help we would get, and this is all we need.
    Several events happened that made Turks lose Trust in NATO-America:

-Ayn Al-Arab (Kobane) incidents where some media unfairly criticized Turkey and started a black mailing campaign.

-Huge US support to PYD (PKK Syrian Branch) which is recognized as a terrorist organization by Turkey. (Turkey offered millions of times to do a buffer zone to clear ISIS from Northern Syria.)

- Allies were telling us to do more against ISIS without taking into account our strategic interests.

-Articles and comments from leaders and influential people saying "The Turks are busy bombing Kurds instead of ISIS". Basically they said that PKK=Kurds and oppose us fighting a terrorists organization.

-Not selling us Predators and blocking other deals like Oliver Hazard Perry.

-Telling us to make peace with terrorist PKK (mostly europeans)

-When a Russian jet violated our airspace for a second time and we shot it down they were like "Oh don't escalate", like we are some little kid.

-All of the tricks with weapons being used against PKK, not selling us spare parts so we had to buy off of the black market, and Germans restricting the use of their weapons in eastern Turkey against the PKK.

Turks aren't stupid. No one wants us to become a serious player. NATO would only shoot down Ballistic missiles for us.

Patriot1776 and AMDR like this.
  10. Patriot1776

Patriot1776 2nd Lieutenant

I think our current policy under obama is to deescalate tensions under any cost. Because obama wants to have a no war/ peace record coming out of the oval office.

Also from what I have read the current Turkish government hasn't been to tough with its actions compared to its tough choice of words. And we see that so we know there is a bunch of wiggle room so to speak.

Also he needs to go back to pilot school and learn how to fly inside the lines:
    [​IMG]

AMDR and Atilla like this.