SEAL's newest toy - Dry Combat Submersible

Discussion in 'U.S. Navy' started by Technofox, Apr 21, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Photos of the US Navy SEAL’s new UOES-3 (aka GSE Trieste Button 5.60) Dry Combat Submersible (DCS) undergoing testing in Europe. The photos were taken some months ago prior to delivery to US and show the craft on the test barge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The six-man Italian designed UOES-3 is competing with the larger British built ten-man UOES-2 design which is also undergoing trials. The UOES-3 is small enough to fit inside an extended Dry Deck Shelter (DDS) which can be carried on the back of an attack submarine. It can also be launched from a surface ship, either by crane or via a moon pool in the bottom of the vessel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A rare view inside the submarine through the forward hatch. The compartment closest to the camera is the diver lock-out chamber with an exit hatch overhead and a hatch at the back entering into the main cabin. In order to lock-out the SEALs sit on the mesh seats while the chamber fills with water. They can then open either the upper hatch, or a similar one beneath their feet (not visible in this shot). You can also see the cylindrical sonar above the hatch.

[​IMG]

http://www.hisutton.com/USSOCOMs new Dry Combat Submersible undergoing testing.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
    Atilla, Bob Hunter 45, AMDR and 2 others like this.
  2. Falcon

Falcon Lieutenant Colonel Staff Member Social Media Team

We need these for mine clearing, if something went down in the gulf we would need to clear a ton of Iranian mines. These are good for silent insertions to go hunt militants.

Atilla, Bob Hunter 45, AMDR and 2 others like this.
  3. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    I prefer an operationally manned version myself. Something like Proteus, which was in the SDV competition that UOES-3 is taking part in, but was deselected.

It has an autonomous mode and the option of being manned:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But while the reason I'd select it has some to do with autonomy, it's more to do payload. Proteus was designed to be able to carry torpedoes, mines, AUVs and mine-countermeasures equipment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It can seekout, find and eliminate mines with or without persons. UOES-3 can't do that even if It has an autonomous mode because it can't mount stores externally.

4. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

That thing packs a punch.

5. Bob Hunter 45

Bob Hunter 45 2nd Lieutenant

Very practical and timely.

Tags: