SEAL's newest toy - Dry Combat Submersible

Discussion in 'U.S. Navy' started by Technofox, Apr 21, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Photos of the US Navy SEAL’s new UOES-3 (aka GSE Trieste Button 5.60) Dry Combat Submersible (DCS) undergoing testing in Europe. The photos were taken some months ago prior to delivery to US and show the craft on the test barge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The six-man Italian designed UOES-3 is competing with the larger British built ten-man UOES-2 design which is also undergoing trials. The UOES-3 is small enough to fit inside an extended Dry Deck Shelter (DDS) which can be carried on the back of an attack submarine. It can also be launched from a surface ship, either by crane or via a moon pool in the bottom of the vessel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A rare view inside the submarine through the forward hatch. The compartment closest to the camera is the diver lock-out chamber with an exit hatch overhead and a hatch at the back entering into the main cabin. In order to lock-out the SEALs sit on the mesh seats while the chamber fills with water. They can then open either the upper hatch, or a similar one beneath their feet (not visible in this shot). You can also see the cylindrical sonar above the hatch.

[​IMG]

http://www.hisutton.com/USSOCOMs new Dry Combat Submersible undergoing testing.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
    Atilla, Bob Hunter 45, AMDR and 2 others like this.
  2. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

We need these for mine clearing, if something went down in the gulf we would need to clear a ton of Iranian mines. These are good for silent insertions to go hunt militants.

Atilla, Bob Hunter 45, AMDR and 2 others like this.
  3. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    I prefer an operationally manned version myself. Something like Proteus, which was in the SDV competition that UOES-3 is taking part in, but was deselected.

It has an autonomous mode and the option of being manned:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But while the reason I'd select it has some to do with autonomy, it's more to do payload. Proteus was designed to be able to carry torpedoes, mines, AUVs and mine-countermeasures equipment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It can seekout, find and eliminate mines with or without persons. UOES-3 can't do that even if It has an autonomous mode because it can't mount stores externally.

4. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

That thing packs a punch.

5. Bob Hunter 45

Bob Hunter 45 2nd Lieutenant

Very practical and timely.

6. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    The design looks like the sort of thing found in some sci-fi - a small underwater vessel that is armed with weapons.

Osmanovic likes this.
  7. CovertShores

CovertShores Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Military history
    Haha, I recognize this news from my blog http://www.hisutton.com/USSOCOMs new Dry Combat Submersible undergoing testing.html

Cool, no worries. I don't think that either the UOES3 or Proteus (see http://www.hisutton.com/Proteus SDV.html) are particularly suited for mine warfare, although their sonars can be used that way. SDV Mk.8s were deployed that way during Desert Storm but it was kind of a waste of a potential offensive unit. Hardly the SEALs' bread and butter.

In general SDVs, even good ones, are not really acoustically or magnetically safe enough to swim up to a naval mine. And unless you use sonar, they actually see a lot less than a line of divers. Purpose built UUVs on the other hand...

AMDR, Pathfinder and Falcon like this.
  8. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

You have a very nice website with tons of information, I shared it on our twitter account. You are an expert in a very niche topic, thanks for all of the work.

I don't know much about how naval mines work, do they need to be touched to go off or are there other sensors involved?

9. CovertShores

Hobby:
    Military history
    Great, glad you liked the site. About to post about a really ingenious SDV design.

EDIT: I love the cleverness of this design, this is the type of stuff that draws me to SDVs. Like most good ideas it is obvious, but only after someone else points it out. A quick and dirty article but hopefully ok. http://www.hisutton.com/Clever design- CSS-1 collapsible SDV.html

The main mine types are contact (touch), acoustic (passive sound), magnetic and pressure. Maybe I forgot a type. All except the first type can go off without the target actually touching, in fact that's the basic aim. And many mines have multiple sensors plus sympathetic fuzes (go off if there's an explosion nearby) and anti-tampering fuzes.

Clearance Divers (underwater EOD) are brave guys. I interviewed a few who were involved in trying SDVs in 1950s and 60s. Basically no SDVs is quiet or non-magnetic enough to drive up to a modern mine. Not even peddle ones!

UUVs are different because they can be almost expendable.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    AMDR and Pathfinder like this.
  10. CovertShores

Hobby:
    Military history
    AMDR and Pathfinder like this.
Tags: