Security Games 24/7

Discussion in 'U.S. Air Force' started by Switchback, Apr 6, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Switchback

Switchback Officer Candidate

Retired
    Hobby:
    The fixer, Pocket.
    Back in the USAF with Security Forces on a Snowing cold wet night. But on this very special night, I was to be working the relief truck. I was happy thinking I would not have to be out in the cold for the full tour of my Nightshift 9-PM until 7-AM. Tonight my canine would have a night-off staying in the kennel thinking about where I was. lol. As the Troop Truck departed the Canine compound. My fellow canine officer and my self-were giving detailed instructions by the Shift Supervisor (Surgent) as to what our mission was to be, We left his office with big smiles on our face knowing we were not assigned to take part in any night games in the wet snow.

We were driving the other one of three Trucks called does and-half (meaning a ton and a half truck). I drove us to the Fuel station and then to the Mass Hall, where we picked up some provisions for the long night ahead. A check of the weather would be one of the first questions our fellow troops would ask us. They would ask us When is it going to stop raining, snowing and so on and any ideas what security issues, checks the Surgent, would be playing on them during the night? Next, we check HQ, for any activity reports of the day for us or anyone to be aware of for officers safety. Everything was looking just too good to be true. This was looking to be a good night for us in vehicles and a bad night of rain and snow for our counterparts in the rain and snow.

The truck was now stocked with all that we would need along with some extra hot coffee. The idea as to patrol relief was to keep to troops company and make sure all was good with them. We would be making stops on every post about two times each with a 5-to-10-min stops to provide supplies, food, cookies and always something warm and dry and hopefully would drive from post-to-post clearing each checkpoint without issue. There are always parts of the base which offer some good light and well not so good light. But always works to our advantage. Everything was just going so well, Which did have me wondering why I had not heard the surgent on the radio with a security issue we may have to respond to somewhere on the back, then get back to our rounds as a really good night was two times providing relief to each troop.

It was now about 5:00 AM in the morning as we drove up to Sammy's post. The post was an inground bunker with stacks of sandbags all around the post for cover and protection of the troop. When we drove up onto the post we would stop at a point and perform a security check. As Sammy was a good 75'-foot of the main roadway and little if any light anywhere but our truck. He was not responding. We honked or to say taped the horn once. still nothing. After we had made it through the first half of the night with no issues I switched my driver's seat with my partner. Having no response we felt Sammy was being the Sargent's security issue for the night's security alert. We had a flashlight and Could see clearly Sammy standing in the doorway of the revetment bunker. We followed up with a call to HQ central Security Patrol and a Special Response Team, would be responding to the area to take control. Trust me when I say I did not like having to get all my gear back on with weapons and find a secure place to lay in the wet snow waiting for the back team to arrive and all the time Sammy was standing in the doorway not moving. To everyone's surprise, this was not a test, of our security post procedures, as our surgent drove up in the jeep with the red light flashing and with no doors in the sides of the Jeep in the cold wet raining snow. With vehicle lights on Sammy and troops around in the wet snow, there was Sammy standing in the doorway not moving. The Surgent got on the JEEPS loudspeaker calling out to Sammy by name not once or twice or even a third time. Sammy was wearing a parka which had a strap running center of the head to left the fur up and away from the eyes. Sammy had taken a nail and hammer and put the nail in the center of the overhead door post and bent the nail so that he could hang himself inside his parka for the cold night ahead. Right their in front of everyone, Sammy was hanging by a nail inside his parks as his eyes slowly opened up. There they were two little white dots now showing everyone he had been sleeping on post. We all busted out laughing in that cold wet snow and rain. (Names changed to protect everyone, the story written for hummer only and not true to the best of my memory.). Anyone can tell you we never sleep's on the post, right? Hope you like? If you like reading WAR-STORIES I would like to suggest War-Stories.com is a real true story written by the many who served during WAR.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    YarS likes this.