The Germany's 'infantryman of the future' system in details

Discussion in 'German Defense Forum' started by Vergennes, Jul 7, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Vergennes

Vergennes Captain Staff Member Ret. Military International Mod

A vision of the future:
    They can see in the dark, communicate without sound and act as a team. Each of them knows where their comrades are even if they can’t see them. All soldiers are connected via a network. A computer inside the “electronic back” – a kind of rucksack – processes and transfers the data that supports soldiers during battle.

The present:
    The infantry has been working on an enhanced system called “Infantryman of the Future“ for years, so the vision is already a reality. The system is continually adapted and developed. To gather practical data some soldiers are already equipped with this system.

We will have a closer look at the “Infantryman of the Future” in Hammelburg.​

AMDR, Bundeswehr, Gessler and 3 others like this.
  2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

I like alot of the functionality of these futuristic systems but what scares me is the over dependence on networks that are clearly vulnerable to electronic attack both from a cyber perspective with regard to malware etc. and from an EW jamming perspective. If the soldiers of the future are solely trained to operate as a unit in a networked environment where every move, decision, objective, and plan is sent electronically then what will happen if the Russians or Chinese employ EW as their main method of attack? Intercepting communications whether it be capturing a runner/messenger in the ancient times or jamming and intercepting radio signals in WW2 has always been a threat but future armies are taking this vulnerability to the next level.

I think these types of future soldier suits work extremely well against non state actors and low tech militarys but against conventional forces with well developed cyber and ew capabilities they may not be that good. Of course all of the non networked gadgets will be highly useful in both scenarios.

AMDR and Vergennes like this.
  3. Freyja

Freyja 2nd Lieutenant

1/2 Gaming 1/2 Baking
    Hobby:
    Video Games
    What's the status of similar programs in the US? I've heard about the Land Warrior System, but that was years ago. Did it work? Or was there a follow up program? If so, how much of the technologies and concepts in the Land Warrior System is present in todays US Army?

[​IMG]

Also the future Germany Army video shows the G36, are there plans to replace it with something like the HK416 or a similar weapon like SCAR-L?

AMDR, Pathfinder and Falcon like this.
  4. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    If these articles are to be believed, Land Warrior was superseded by "Nett Warrior"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...mera-that-might-change-the-future-of-warfare/
    http://blogs.reuters.com/great-deba...d-x-and-how-much-will-it-change-the-u-s-army/
    http://kitup.military.com/2011/02/nett-warrior-suffers-from-land-warrior-syndrome.html

Pathfinder likes this.
  5. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

We had so many future soldier concepts from so many companies but thus far I have not seen all components of these systems on one soldier.

Has anyone seen any military actually use a heads up display? I have seen a lot of soldiers use wrist mounted computers and stuff.

6. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    I think a head-mounted display is not feasible at present times considering the cost of such system, and that wrist-mounted computers and smartphones would do the same job.

7. Bundeswehr

Bundeswehr Captain

soldiers from the Sicherungsbataillon 12 with IDZ-ES affiliated stuff
    Idz.jpg

AMDR and Technofox like this.