The Mess Hall

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Admin, Oct 16, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Exhausted:confused:. I'm back to work now after an extended holiday season in the US visiting with some friends and family... sort of back to work anyway. I'm looking to get a transfer to one of our US operations, so I've been touring the US East Coast, D.C. area where I have friends, looking for a house - working on the road (I write software for AUVs, bonus points if you can identify the contractor I work for) while still overseas, or local depending on your point of view. It's tiring stuff especially with pregnancy to deal with.

Glad the forum's back up too, for a few weeks I thought there'd been a serious issue - was hoping it wasn't on my end. Thank goodness it wasn't.

How are you?

Pathfinder likes this.
  2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Im good. Going back to school soon.

3. Technofox

Hobby:
    Being a geek
    My service wasn't that exciting, acting as a land component during combined ops was always good for a few jokes about how we airmen and women can't walk a straight line without needing a map, but during basic I learned I needed glasses in a rather embarrassing way (for soldiers at least).

After selection and recruitment comes basic, part of basic is shooting. Even airmen and women need to shoot, we also got experience with aerial gunnery, which was a ton of fun, but very difficult with the vibration of a helo - you don't lead your target, you follow it:

We all start on the ground though, at any number of ranges.

We start out shooting from a prone position, to familiarize ourselves with the recoil and ballistics of our rifles - currently the HK416N:

[​IMG]

I had limited experience with the HK417 too.

Before moving onto standing positions:

[​IMG]

And standing side-arms:

[​IMG]

Didn't we once have a discussion about women in combat roles? Well, here's Norwegian women in Kabul|Punch|. during shooting drills.

[​IMG]

I got prone, propped my rifle up on a mount, put my cheek to the rest, and pulled the trigger. BANG, BANG, BANG:O---:... again and again and again - 30 rounds downrange, 150 meters.

I missed all but four. Those four were head-shots... well forehead anyway:_-0-_:.

The officer overseeing the shooting drills comes over to me and pats me on the head. I thought, "Oh great, must have done a good job!" "Would you like me to lower the target?" He laughed. I'm short, about 5' 1", so I get crap for that a lot,"You missed, you missed them all!" He continued in disbelief:0 !!!!:.

I had a good talk with the recruiting officers the next day. Luckily I wasn't DQ'd right there, my other skills like swimming and diving where rather impressive, so I was sent to have my eyes evaluated for a second time. Up close I see fine. Far away my visions a bit off-center though - which for SAR crews is isn't a major issue as our activities tend to take place within a short range, as in within touching distance, but is a problem if you need to be a shooter. I got a pair of glasses, but later opted for LASIK to permanently fix the issue.

I still wear glasses because they make me look cute|Shamefullyembarrased|.

That's what I remember most about my recruitment and selection. I've a few other, sometimes more naughty|Beaver| stories about my actual service.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Parikrama, Vergennes, Khafee and 3 others like this.
  4. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Wow great story, thanks for sharing.|Bookworm|

Militaries normally do a good job of picking out what new recruits should do while they are serving. SAR is actually a tough job. Diving into cold water, dealing with half dead and sometimes dead people, calming people down, obviously the physical requirements are high. Being in the military isn't all about BANG BANG BANG. There are people who do complex jobs such as aircraft maintenance, folding parachutes etc. The stories they tell their grand kids |Dummy||Dummy1| won't be as interesting as someone who was in combat but still they did an important job.

Technofox, Falcon and AMDR like this.
  5. Technofox

Hobby:
    Being a geek
    How's everyone's weather? Sven sent me these photos from his house in Virginia. They're expecting between 20 and 30 inches!!! |Arghh|I'm so jealous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parikrama, Vergennes, AMDR and 2 others like this.