The Philippines under Duterte and its relations with the US-EU and China

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Cossack25A1, Sep 20, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    I am not sure if this is the right place to start this discussion, but recent news of Duterte slamming the European Union over the issue of the ongoing drug war here in the Philippines makes me wonder of Duterte is doing the right thing.

http://opinion.inquirer.net/97438/eu-joins-call-for-halt-to-killings-in-drug-war
    http://globalnation.inquirer.net/14...e-on-eu-calls-them-hypocrites-and-uses-f-word

I have heard him slamming the USA, I have heard him slamming the European Union, I have NOT heard him slam China over the territorial disputes and the fake islands the Chinese is building in disputed areas.

The US and Europe (specifically Spain) may have done bad things to my country, but that happened long time ago and what is needed is reconciliation and in some ways, the US and Europe made contributions to help the PH, but what Duterte is doing is basically shunning away the US and EU while at the same time, trying to have good relations with the Chinese government, the one that is putting a noose around our necks in the form of their fake islands and the threat that they may also take Benham rise from us.

While China can give trade and investments to the Philippines, what is the point of that if the Chinese government will have its army stationed near the Philippines and deploying their coast guard to prevent Filipino fishermen to go out fishing, forcing the PH government to "ask permission" so that the Filipino fishermen to go within the PH EEZ just to get fish.

Anyways, this topic is about:

- The Philippines relations with US under Duterte administration, as well as the effect of the US 2016 Elections on the PH-US relations.
    - The Philippines relations with EU, specially in regards to the recent news that he slammed the EU over the issue of the drug war
    - The Philippines relations with China, as Duterte is not heard making tough talks against China and that his foreign policy tilts towards China, which is currently having territorial dispute with the Philippines.

Pathfinder likes this.
  2. Blue Marlin

Blue Marlin 2nd Lieutenant

well he is a very colourful character isn't he?
    his relations with the usa are.....bad to say the least
    i have not heard him say much about the eu actually.
    i do know he is more softer on china.
    if china plays its card right they can make the Philippines their pet honey badger. cute and cuddly on the outside but come to close and bam!.

china has a good opportunity here lets see it they take it.

Pathfinder and Cossack25A1 like this.
  3. Duterte

Duterte Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    China watcher

Duterte understands that the US cannot stop China's island reclamation or what happened to Scarborough and Jackson atoll. Unless China attacks which it won't all that will happen is FONP and strongly veiled words from the US. Its better to cooperate with China.

Pathfinder likes this.
  4. Cossack25A1

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    ****SIGH****

-----

Duterte: ‘Filipinos may sacrifice a little bit if US break ties with PH’
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016

By Ruth Abbey Gita

ARAYAT, PAMPANGA -- President Rodrigo Duterte warned Tuesday the Filipinos that they may sacrifice "a little bit," citing possibilities that the United States may cut its alliance with the Philippines.

"I am asking the Filipino in the coming days, 'If the America would really make true of [cutting ties with the Philippines], I'm going to ask you to sacrifice a little bit," Duterte said after he inspected the mega shabu laboratory at the foothill of Mt. Arayat in Pampanga.

Duterte made the statement as he hinted that the US may severe ties with the Philippines, following his series of tirades against its officials and latest pronouncement that he might "cross the Rubicon" with the America.

The President has lamented that the US seemed to have a lack of support with the Philippines, even though they are allies for a long time.

While he clarified that he would not cut ties with the US, Duterte confirmed that he will pursue an alliance with other countries like China and Russia.

"By next year, I would have entered an alliance with so many countries," the 71-year-old chief executive said.

In a press conference held earlier in the day, Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Yasay said there was nothing wrong if the Philippine government would accept any assistance from China and Russia.

He said the Duterte administration has to entertain all possibilities in pursuit of best interest of the country.

-----
    More-> http://www.sunstar.com.ph/manila/lo...crifice-little-bit-if-us-break-ties-ph-500192
    -----

5. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    In very uncertain terms to be sure. Would Pakistan risk a conflict against the US and its supporting partners for the sake of Freedom of Navigation in the SCS or sovereignty over Senkaku/Diaoyu just because China and japan are involved in a spat over it, and the US would support Japan in a conflict?

Would Pakistan or Russia really want to risk political, economic and perhaps military backlash over this should this alliance hold water?
    [​IMG]

There's a friendship budding between Russia and China, but it's largely commercial, and in real terms its unproven how far Russia or Pakistan or China would go to defend the others. We can be reasonably confident China would support Pakistan against India based on past actions, but would Russia too given its deep defense ties with India?

There's too much uncertainty surrounding these types of proto-alliances to make an assertion as to whether or not they'd hold during an action conflict.

I'm convinced he doesn't actually know what his nation's best interests are. When Duterte speaks, his diplomats and military officials scramble to sooth ties with strained or put-off partners, that should tell readers how much support Duterte's bolstering has.

Cossack25A1 likes this.
  6. HIT AND RUN

HIT AND RUN Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Video Editing
    India makes a deal with the USA Now a day, and Russia also thinks of that " Russia loses Asia-Pacific region of the United States? But, I think, has not, because Russia now joined Pakistan and China alliance to counter both at the same time US and India.

Another factor is also that and to be considered, as India tends to focus towards America for Military dealings, also shows us that how much Russia is all about worried, he would be worried about her weapons and arms dealings markets, and would tend to focus to open those markets which somehow US relations with those countries has weakened.

Our brother China and friend Russia have increased their security, economic and diplomatic relationship through Asia-Pacific region. Which would lower the interests of US, to influence strategic outcomes in the region.

That's why, Russia increasing ties with Pakistan China brothers as a friend is a good gesture, and Recent Example of Pakistan and Russia friendship is: Joint exercise of Pakistan with Russia progressing well.

P.S: Russia looks with caution at the development of military and political ties between the United States and India.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    YarS likes this.
  7. Cossack25A1

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Rodrigo Duterte compares himself to Hitler and pledges to 'slaughter three million drug addicts'
    Hitler massacred three million Jews... there's three million drug addicts. I'd be happy to slaughter them'
    The Philippine President has likened his national crackdown on drug crime to the Holocaust, saying he would be "happy" to kill as many addicts as Hitler slaughtered Jews.

Rodrigo Duterte said he had been compared to a "cousin of Hitler" by critics during a press conference in southern Davao city on Friday. "Hitler massacred three million Jews... there's three million drug addicts. I'd be happy to slaughter them," he said.

At least six million Jews and other minority groups are known to have been killed by the Nazis before and during the second world war.

Since taking up office in June, Mr Duterte has overseen a vicious anti-drug campaign in which more than 3,000 suspected drug dealers and users are understood to have been killed by police operations or vigilantes. The bodies of those killed are often left in the streets with signs listing their crimes.

During his presidential campaign and short time in office Mr Duterte has threatened to drown drug suspects to fatten the fish in Manila Bay. He has also threatened to execute drug traffickers by hanging until their heads were severed from their bodies.

“You know my victims. I would like [them] to be all criminals to finish the problem of my country and save the next generation from perdition,” he said on Friday.

His comments have been described as "disgusting" and "baffling" by Jewish leaders, according to Reuters.

"Duterte owes the [Holocaust] victims an apology for his disgusting rhetoric," said Rabbi Abraham Cooper of the US-based Simon Wiesenthal Center.

The US-based Jewish group the Anti-Defamation League said the comments were "inappropriate and deeply offensive", adding: "It is baffling why any leader would want to model himself after such a monster."

Despite his shocking rhetoric, Mr Duterte remains popular in the Philippines, with high approval ratings and strong legislative support.

-----
    More -> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...hter-three-million-drug-addicts-a7338786.html
    -----

8. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    Killing of drugdealers is a good thing by itself. Protection of his people is a duty and a responsibility of state's leader. What is better:
    1) using a right rhetoric, but doing bad things;
    2) using a bad rhetoric, but doing good things?