The Philippines under Duterte and its relations with the US-EU and China

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Cossack25A1, Sep 20, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    I am not sure if this is the right place to start this discussion, but recent news of Duterte slamming the European Union over the issue of the ongoing drug war here in the Philippines makes me wonder of Duterte is doing the right thing.

http://opinion.inquirer.net/97438/eu-joins-call-for-halt-to-killings-in-drug-war
    http://globalnation.inquirer.net/14...e-on-eu-calls-them-hypocrites-and-uses-f-word

I have heard him slamming the USA, I have heard him slamming the European Union, I have NOT heard him slam China over the territorial disputes and the fake islands the Chinese is building in disputed areas.

The US and Europe (specifically Spain) may have done bad things to my country, but that happened long time ago and what is needed is reconciliation and in some ways, the US and Europe made contributions to help the PH, but what Duterte is doing is basically shunning away the US and EU while at the same time, trying to have good relations with the Chinese government, the one that is putting a noose around our necks in the form of their fake islands and the threat that they may also take Benham rise from us.

While China can give trade and investments to the Philippines, what is the point of that if the Chinese government will have its army stationed near the Philippines and deploying their coast guard to prevent Filipino fishermen to go out fishing, forcing the PH government to "ask permission" so that the Filipino fishermen to go within the PH EEZ just to get fish.

Anyways, this topic is about:

- The Philippines relations with US under Duterte administration, as well as the effect of the US 2016 Elections on the PH-US relations.
    - The Philippines relations with EU, specially in regards to the recent news that he slammed the EU over the issue of the drug war
    - The Philippines relations with China, as Duterte is not heard making tough talks against China and that his foreign policy tilts towards China, which is currently having territorial dispute with the Philippines.

Pathfinder likes this.
  2. Blue Marlin

Blue Marlin 2nd Lieutenant

well he is a very colourful character isn't he?
    his relations with the usa are.....bad to say the least
    i have not heard him say much about the eu actually.
    i do know he is more softer on china.
    if china plays its card right they can make the Philippines their pet honey badger. cute and cuddly on the outside but come to close and bam!.

china has a good opportunity here lets see it they take it.

Pathfinder and Cossack25A1 like this.
  3. Duterte

Duterte Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    China watcher

Duterte understands that the US cannot stop China's island reclamation or what happened to Scarborough and Jackson atoll. Unless China attacks which it won't all that will happen is FONP and strongly veiled words from the US. Its better to cooperate with China.

Pathfinder likes this.
  4. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    ****SIGH****

-----

Duterte: ‘Filipinos may sacrifice a little bit if US break ties with PH’
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016

By Ruth Abbey Gita

ARAYAT, PAMPANGA -- President Rodrigo Duterte warned Tuesday the Filipinos that they may sacrifice "a little bit," citing possibilities that the United States may cut its alliance with the Philippines.

"I am asking the Filipino in the coming days, 'If the America would really make true of [cutting ties with the Philippines], I'm going to ask you to sacrifice a little bit," Duterte said after he inspected the mega shabu laboratory at the foothill of Mt. Arayat in Pampanga.

Duterte made the statement as he hinted that the US may severe ties with the Philippines, following his series of tirades against its officials and latest pronouncement that he might "cross the Rubicon" with the America.

The President has lamented that the US seemed to have a lack of support with the Philippines, even though they are allies for a long time.

While he clarified that he would not cut ties with the US, Duterte confirmed that he will pursue an alliance with other countries like China and Russia.

"By next year, I would have entered an alliance with so many countries," the 71-year-old chief executive said.

In a press conference held earlier in the day, Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Yasay said there was nothing wrong if the Philippine government would accept any assistance from China and Russia.

He said the Duterte administration has to entertain all possibilities in pursuit of best interest of the country.

-----
    More-> http://www.sunstar.com.ph/manila/lo...crifice-little-bit-if-us-break-ties-ph-500192
    -----

5. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    In very uncertain terms to be sure. Would Pakistan risk a conflict against the US and its supporting partners for the sake of Freedom of Navigation in the SCS or sovereignty over Senkaku/Diaoyu just because China and japan are involved in a spat over it, and the US would support Japan in a conflict?

Would Pakistan or Russia really want to risk political, economic and perhaps military backlash over this should this alliance hold water?
    [​IMG]

There's a friendship budding between Russia and China, but it's largely commercial, and in real terms its unproven how far Russia or Pakistan or China would go to defend the others. We can be reasonably confident China would support Pakistan against India based on past actions, but would Russia too given its deep defense ties with India?

There's too much uncertainty surrounding these types of proto-alliances to make an assertion as to whether or not they'd hold during an action conflict.

I'm convinced he doesn't actually know what his nation's best interests are. When Duterte speaks, his diplomats and military officials scramble to sooth ties with strained or put-off partners, that should tell readers how much support Duterte's bolstering has.

Cossack25A1 likes this.