The US Army wants to 3d-print 'customized' food for soldiers

Discussion in 'U.S. Army' started by AMDR, Feb 1, 2016.

Share This Page

1. AMDR

AMDR Captain Staff Member Administrator

Student

[​IMG]
    US Army Natick Soldier RD&E Center

The military wants to "customize nutrition" for each soldier in the next few decades, and it's betting on 3-d printers to do it.

Here's how it would work.

By 2025, soldiers will likely be wearing a device to measure their physiological or nutritional status. The wearable may be inside the experimental "Iron Man suit" or something else, but the idea is that it would send personal data back about the soldier.

Once the data reaches back to a base camp or field kitchen, it might show a soldier hasn't eaten enough protein today, or that they've been awake for quite a while and could use some extra caffeine. This is where the 3-d printer works its magic.

http://www.businessinsider.com/army-3d-print-soldiers-food-2016-2

2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

I think this is a waste of money. Who cares if a soldier is missing a few grams of protein or some iron. Our Great Grandpas in WW2 fought all around the world in all environments and they didn't care about a custom meal. I mean this is getting ridiculous. We talk about budget cuts and everything but we are preparing 3D printed meals. Normally a soldier should be able to operate with some can food, bread, and water.

AMDR likes this.
  3. Patriot1776

Patriot1776 2nd Lieutenant

I think this an important development because diet can effect so many things. With the correct diet soldiers can have more stamina, strength, and can think better, every nutritionist knows how much of an effect it really does have. Plus we could discover new things, and i defiantly can see this in the consumer market in the next 50 years.

AMDR likes this.