Three French soldiers die in Mali mine blast

Discussion in 'Sub-Saharan Africa' started by Vergennes, Apr 13, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Vergennes

Vergennes Captain Staff Member Ret. Military International Mod

A very,very sad say. RIP.
    -
    Three French peacekeeping soldiers died after their armoured vehicle (VAB) ran over a landmine in Mali, the French presidency said Wednesday.

One soldier was killed immediately in the blast on Tuesday and President Francois Hollande learned "with great sadness" that two more soldiers had died in the west African country, a statement said.

The armoured vehicle was leading a convoy of around 60 vehicles travelling to the northern desert town of Tessalit when it hit the mine, according to the French defence ministry.

The troops were part of Operation Barkhane, under which France has some 3,500 soldiers deployed across five countries in the Sahel region, south of the Sahara desert, to combat the jihadist insurgency raging there.

The latest deaths take the French army casualty toll to 17 since Paris intervened in its former colony in January 2013 to oust Islamist militants.

Countries across west Africa are scrambling to tighten security following a string of attacks against hotels and restaurants popular with foreigners that have highlighted the growing reach of jihadist groups in the region.

Three French soldiers die in Mali mine blast | Daily Mail Online
    -
    [​IMG]

There will be a national tribute for these soldiers next week.

Source: http://defence.pk/threads/three-french-soldiers-die-in-mali-mine-blast.426668/#ixzz45iEcUkKn

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    AMDR, Pathfinder and Technofox like this.
  2. Vergennes

@AMDR @Falcon @Technofox @Pathfinder

One of the biggest threat in fighting uncoventional groups remains IEDs.
    How many coalition soldiers died because of IEDs in Iraq and Afghanistan ?
    Most of the casualties in these two conflicts weren't because of direct ennemy fire,but mines and IEDs ! There are Mraps that saved hundreds of lives,but IEDs still kill. :(

3. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Does France field counter-IED equipment in Mali? Their still relatively new, and mostly effective against radio command detonation, the typical form used by IEDs were the operator doesn't want to be near the blast when it happens, but they've proliferated.

[​IMG]

AMDR, Falcon, Vergennes and 1 other person like this.
  4. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

IED's are still extremely effective because terrorists always find away around anti IED solutions. When MRAPS were first deployed terrorists reacted by building IED's with more explosives. When jammers were used they adapted by using cables to detonate the explosives. etc. IEDS are not only powerful in a kinetic sense but also psychological. Every time a soldiers is being transported on the ground in a vehicle I am sure he is worried about about IED's. The same applies when he opens the door in a building. Its has a huge psychological effect.

They can be very creative in hiding them, and its almost impossible to find them all. IED's are how terrorists try to level the playing field other wise they have no chance against well equipped and trained troops.

AMDR, Falcon and Vergennes like this.
  5. Vergennes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some Nexter "Aravis" will be sent to Mali to open convoys and to better protect the EOD troops.

I'll tell you the truth,in Afghanistan,we were more worried about IEDs than the Taliban themselves.
    I have asked other ISAF soldiers and the answer was the same.

AMDR, Falcon and Technofox like this.
  6. Myachiguy11

Myachiguy11 2nd Lieutenant

Historian
    Hobby:
    Military History
    I was wondering what techniques the French used to counter the IEDs. From what I've heard, the American soldiers are much better equipped for bomb defusing then the French. But please tell me if I'm wrong.

Tags: