Turkey may get 2 more AWACS

Discussion in 'Turkish Defence Forum' started by Atilla, Feb 4, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Atilla

Atilla Major

ANKARA — Feeling increasingly threatened by regional tensions, Turkey’s military and procurement authorities are mulling to exercise a follow-on order option in their airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) contract.

If the government decides to go ahead with that option, it will order two more AEW&C aircraft from Boeing under the country’s Peace Eagle program.

“We are faced with a different threat concept than the concept we assessed when we ordered four [AEW&C] aircraft. New [threat] deliberations may force us into a new acquisition,” a senior procurement official said.

Continued:
    http://www.defensenews.com/story/de...-mulling-buy-two-more-aewc-aircraft/79805298/

T-123456, YarS, AMDR and 1 other person like this.
  2. Zaslon

Zaslon Captain

to be honest even if their wasn't that tension in the region, I still believe you guys would acquire more just because you guys want to make a strong armed forces capable of detecting external threats.

T-123456, Atilla and YarS like this.
  3. T-123456

T-123456 Captain Staff Member International Mod

With the neighbours we have,its a must.

4. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    With "allies" you have, you really don't need "enemies". So, I think you need to buy not only AWACS, but also A-50 - to not put all eggs in one basket. AWACS can be too easy jammed by your sneaky "friends".

Atilla likes this.
  5. Yatagan

Yatagan 2nd Lieutenant

Turkey won't buy A-50 since they already have E737 AWAC, in which they have 4. but with Armenia, Iran, Greece etc they will need to acquire 2 additional E737 AWACs just to be able to have the upper hand.

Pathfinder likes this.
  6. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Turkey's AWACS currently integrate with NATO. Its to there advantage to cooperate with NATO on intelligence. They might make something themselves but they wouldn't buy something like an AWAC from Russia.

Yatagan likes this.
  7. Atilla

Atilla Major

Your concerns are legitimate but it would be difficult to operate a Russia AWAC because none of the communication system or anything else matches what we have now. Some kind of joint production is more realistic but I think Turkey will expand aerospace cooperation with Ukraine, example our regional jet liner project is going forward with Ukraine.

8. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    It is your choise, of course, but Ukrains industry have now a some problems. I'm not sure you will got your planes.

9. Atilla

Atilla Major

I think their air plane industry is stable unlike some of their other industries that were damaged by the war. They recently signed a deal with Saudi Arabia for local production of transport aircraft. The planes we get from them will be produced in Turkey with local input, we are just buying the blueprints I think.