U.S. nears $100 billion arms deal for Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'The Middle East & North Africa' started by Falcon, May 13, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

U.S. nears $100 billion arms deal for Saudi Arabia: White House official
    [​IMG]
    U.S. President Donald Trump meets with Saudi Deputy Crown Prince and Minister of Defense Mohammed bin Salman in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, U.S., March 14, 2017.

By Steve Holland | WASHINGTON

The official, who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said the arms package could end up surpassing more than $300 billion over a decade to help Saudi Arabia boost its defensive capabilities while still maintaining U.S. ally Israel's qualitative military edge over its neighbors.

"We are in the final stages of a series of deals," the official said. The package is being developed to coincide with Trump's visit to Saudi Arabia. Trump leaves for the kingdom on May 19, the first stop on his maiden international trip.

Reuters reported last week that Washington was pushing through contracts for tens of billions of dollars in arms sales to Saudi Arabia, some new, others already in the pipeline, ahead of Trump's visit.

Read more: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN18832N

Osmanovic likes this.
  2. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    Don't forgot to give little percent for Iran, who support Yemen's people.

3. Osmanovic

Osmanovic 1st Lieutenant

They buy weapons to do what? Such a waste of money, they spend a lot and get nowhere.

4. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    To burn it in Yemen and Syria, I think.

5. yavar

yavar 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    job
    US Tillerson - Saudi al-Jubeir anti-Iran remarks Press Conference اظهارات ضد ایران تیلرسون-الجبیر

تیلرسون: روحانی آزمایش موشکی را متوقف کند/به وقتش با ظریف صحبت می‌کنم/جبیر: ایران خواهان رفتار محترمانه نیست
    http://www.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=13960230001317

US secretary of state Rex Tillerson and Saudi foreign minister Adel al-Jubeir anti-Iran remarks in Riyadh Press Conference at 20/5/2017

Tillerson calls on Rouhani to stop Iran’s ballistic missile tests
    US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has called on Iranian President Hassan Rouhani to end the country’s ballistic missile tests in what is Washington’s first reaction to his re-election. Tillerson made the remarks during a joint news conference with his Saudi counterpart on Saturday following Rouhani’s landslide election victory and winning a second term in office through presidential polls held on Friday.He repeated a Western accusation that Iran supports terrorism, saying, "What I would hope, is that Rouhani... use that (new) term to begin a process of dismantling Iran's network of terrorism, dismantling its financing of the terrorist network, dismantling the manning and the logistics and everything that they provide to these destabilizing forces that exist in this region."
    "We also hope that he puts an end to their ballistic missile testing," Tillerson said on the first day of a visit by President Donald Trump to Saudi Arabia where he signed a whopping $110 billion weapons deal with the Saudi kingdom.
    http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2017/05/21/522640/US-Rex-Tillerson-Iran-Hassan-Rouhani-Saudi-Arabia/

Falcon likes this.
  6. yavar

yavar 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    job
    Trump anti-Iran remarks at Islamic American Summit اظهارات ضد ایران ترامپ در اجلاس سران اسلامی

اظهارات ضد ایران ترامپ در اجلاس سران اسلامی در ریاض عربستان
    ترامپ:‌ باید ایران را منزوی کنیم/ ایران مسئول بی ثباتی در منطقه است
    http://www.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=13960231001517

Trump anti-Iran remarks at Islamic American Summit in Riyadh 21/5/2017
    Donald Trump hits out at Iran, says region 'held at bay by bloodshed and terror'
    http://www.smh.com.au/world/donald-...-by-bloodshed-and-terror-20170521-gw9whd.html

Falcon likes this.
  7. BlueHawk

BlueHawk Captain

Hobby:
    Sport
    @yavar We get well informed about the news. Maybe all western nation get the news on tv and news paper. I am more interest to know what you think about it. Is it fake news? I just want to hear your side of story.

8. yavar

yavar 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    job
    exactly about what ?? which part of regional or global policy or event you need to know about so i can reflect my views .

if is about Trump and west Asia ( also known as middle east )region .
    to be completed by me

9. BlueHawk

BlueHawk Captain

Hobby:
    Sport
    @yavar Saudia is form of negative towards Iranian. America is. And they claim Iran is backing or creating the war in Yemen. I did not look like the rebels have a chance against Saudi. Is it to make area unstable so the oil price go up? In my view i can't see any benefits for this.

10. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Abrams tanks, Blackhawk helicopters, radar systems, APCs, artillery guns, PATRIOT missiils, patrol boats (Mark V most likely), Upgunned LCS and THAAD, all for around 110 Billion USD.

big2.jpg

Interesting haul, though I have to be skeptical of its overall effectiveness against Iran. The Saudi Navy needed an immediate upgrade sporting some older ships with just a handful of modern ones. Buying an LCS-frigate helps mitigate this glaring deficiency, and helps the USN too.

[​IMG]

LM's proposed Freedom frigate.
    [​IMG]

Their surface warfare capability is still crimped though armed with Harpoon and their ability to rapidly deal with a swarm of fast boats or anti-ship missiles is suspect as well. Four is a nice addition to the Saudi Navy, but ultimately not enough, especially when even the frigate version of the Freedom class still lacks in firepower. Iran has also been investing in anti ship ballistic missiles, which again, even an upgunned LCS would seem hard-pressed to thwart. ESSM is a great missile, highly recommended. But it's effectiveness against quasi-ballistic missiles isn't well known versus SM-2 or SM-6.

fateh110eo_31.jpg

It's not just sea-denial systmes like ASBM or AShM that Iran is fielding in increasingly large numbers, their surface and subsurface fleets are undergoing a modernization too.

resized_1970598_770.jpg

27-4025844-shiraz.jpg

The Iranian Navy's submarine fleet has the ability to fire cruise and anti-ship missiles. Without a credible ASW capability, and the Saudis are heavily reliant on the USN for ASW and counter-mine operations in the region, coupled with upgunned Iranian ships, and the Saudi Navy would have a real fight on its hands. Fortunately their Air Force completely outclasses their Iranian counterparts and can provide support, though Iran's anti-aircraft missiles systems are making staggering progress in addition to buying newer Russian missile systems

FatehPhoto1.jpg

Saudi Arabia is said to be in the market for an unspecified number of P-8 MPAs, which will go a long way to countering the Iranian Navy's modernization, surface and subsurface.

The Saudi's need to replenish their stocks of Abrams tanks lost or damaged during the Yemen campaign. If they aren't up armored or sporting an active protection system, it's a wasted investment. In Yemen Iranian anti-tank missiles and artillery have carved up Saudi tanks.

[​IMG]

They need heavier armor, but there's still conflicting info on the exact nature of the armor of the M1A2S. There's nothing concrete to confirm they are or aren't sporting DU armor. A TUSK upgrade featuring ERA would help as would an active protection system.

[​IMG]

PAC-3 and PAC-2 have been working overtime swatting Yemeni modified SCUDs launched against Saudi Arabia, and the Saudi's are happy enough with the system to buy more units. The range of the PAC-2 missile is about 200km, so it also makes for a potent anti-aircraft missile which can match the best Russia or China can field. But THAAD is interesting and for me offers the most glaring question mark.

Iran has been developing missiles designed to thwart THAAD's lower minimum engagement range limit. Due to the kinematics of the HTK warhead on THAAD, it has an optimal engagement zone that if it exceeds or fails to reach, significantly limits the maneuverability and lethality of the warhead. The minimum is roughly 40km.

close-up_views_of_emad_mrv725.jpg

Iran has been developing missiles specifically to thwart this engagement zone limit. And this is to say nothing or Iran's arsenal of KH-55 missiles with a range of around 2000-2500km.

[​IMG]

It's an interesting batch and when taken together with the Saudi Armed Forces doesn't look as diminished. They've addressed needs with a tie up with China for UAVs. They operate a large number of F-15s and are reportedly interested in the F-35. The Saudis are exploring the option of purchasing a number of Type 214 submarines from Germany, but there's also some things in this deal with aren't as obvious in their utility.

Saudi Arabia has been criticized for throwing money at anything that's shinny and I feel they're doing it again with some of their procurement items in this deal. Some of it looks good. Some replenishes stocks. Some makes you look twice, but what needs to be watched is what happens next and how do these items fit into an overall strategy Saudi Arabia is trying to form.

Interesting times ahead and it'll be fun to watch them move forward as they try to negotiate for submarines, MPAs, attack aircraft and other high impact items.

Falcon and BlueHawk like this.