U.S. plans third patrol near disputed South China Sea islands

Discussion in 'East Asia & The Pacific' started by F-22, Apr 1, 2016.

Share This Page

1. F-22

F-22 2nd Lieutenant

n">The U.S. Navy plans to conduct another passage near disputed islands in the South China Sea in early April, a source familiar with the plan said on Friday, the third in series of challenges that have drawn sharps rebukes from China.

The exact timing of the exercise and which ship would travel inside a 12-nautical mile limit around a disputed island was not immediately clear.

More at the link:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-southchinasea-usa-idUSKCN0WZ018

Bryce Hontz, AMDR and Atilla like this.
  2. AMDR

AMDR Captain Staff Member Administrator

Student
    I'm still struggling to figure out what China's end game is in the SCS.

To start, pissing off their neighbors and putting them on edge with illegal island-building for no clear reason doesn't seem like a productive policy. This gives us a fantastic opportunity to do these patrols and demonstrate our commitment, which boosts our ties with the many Southeast Asian nations and makes people even more skeptical of China. Also, building up those islands doesn't give them any significant military advantage to China in a war with the United States. 1 Ohio-class SSGN carries 154 Tomahawks. That would put a huge dent in all major Chinese installations in the SCS in the first hours of any potential conflict. That is only ONE submarine.
    (http://www.update.ph/2016/03/us-ohio-class-submarine-arrives-at-subic-bay/3487\\)

IMO this is a serious foreign policy flop by China. I really don't see anything significant gained by them here unless I'm missing something.

We just need to keep up with these patrols; keep showing our commitment to our allies in the Pacific. The rest will fall into place.

F-22 likes this.